The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Garrison Artillery

kbmacbeth

Hi eveyone, I'm in need of real help, my great great great grandfather was part of the Royal Garrison Artilery from what little ive found out. I unfortunatly don't have a battery or any kind of information as of yet as to which battery. I'm trying to peice together this however with the information i do have, such as where he we was stationed.

Is there anyone, possibly with knowledge of the Royal Artilery, who could know which battery/regiment he would have been part of.

His name was William Alfred Chevis born 1870...

In 1899 i have him as a Corporal in the 9th E.D.R.G.A (Eastern Division Royal Garrison Artillery?) and is stationed at Fort William, Calcutta, India - married to Alice Ida, with a son Albert Norton Chevis.

In 1911 i have him as Battery Quater Master Sergeant, living in Welling, Kent.

I know this is very little to go on, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Kevin

Kevin

Welcome to the forum

The only Medal Index Card I can see is for a William Alfred Chevis, Lance-corporal, Military Foot Police, no:29434. This seems unlikely to be your man, unless he retired and rejoined. I hope others may come along with better ideas.

D

Thank you for that, but i think your right and is probably not him. His service started before 1899, and was stil in service in 1911. I've gone through 100s of websited but there doesnt appear to be a 9th E.D.R.G.A. i believe thats Eastern Division Royal Garrison Artillery. If there anywhere that would have record of what battery was stationed at Fort William, Calcutta, India in 1899?

Hello,

I think the role of the RGA before WW1 was mainly to man the guns emplaced to protect ports. One of the principal tasks of the army was the protection of coaling stations. (I assume Calcutta was a port and possibly a coaling station). If your man was a BQMS in 1911 it seems well possible that he was too old to have served in WW1. Tha does not say much, but it may add to the picture.

Old Tom

Thanks Tom, i think your right, he would have been 44 at the start of the war so probably didnt see any action during.

Cant seem to find anything about this 9th E.D.R.G.A...

Kevin

Can't help with your ancestor, but I can confirm that EDRGA is indeed Eastern Division Royal Garrison Artillery.

Serving in India with the RGA, there is a possibility he was Mountain Artillery, but without a Battery it is hard to confirm that.

Regards

Phil

No cheers phil, all helps to build up the picture and narrow things down. I've found the 9 (plassey) Battery Royal Artillery i know they were at Fort William, Calcutta. maybe this is the reference to 9th..... Cant find any information on the 9th E.D.R.G.A, is there any website with information?

At 44 he was still of age to enlist in WW1 as a volunteer, also he would probably still be on reserve as time expired. I would suspect in the absence fo any other medal cards that that is your man.

Roop

Hi Kevin,

welcome to the forum. Dont worry too much about age my grandfather was born in 1868 (1866 according

to the army) and he saw out nearly 5 years in France/Belgium as an RSM in RGA.

David/Canberra

Cheers guys, will look into this, but it seems strange he would be military police after being QMS in RGA, seems unlikely he would have left the RGA between 1911-1914 then rejoined as military police since he had atleast 12-13yrs service by 1911.

I think a trip to kew is probably the only way to get some answers.

Does anyone have any information about the E.D.R.G.A, can seem to find anything about them. did the 9th E.D.R.G.A become the 9 (plassey) battery?

Cheers again guys for the help.

Kev

I found a little bit of information on RGA,

On 1 January 1902, the Divisional system was abolished and all companies RGA were re-numbered sequentially from 1 to 105.

So the 9th E.D.R.G.A was renamed, this is why its hard to find anything because the 9th E.D.R.G.A was called so from 1899-1902...

Does anyone know a website where i could find what it was renamed to?

cheers

Kev

'Lineage Book of British Land Forces' by Frederick, vol 2, p. 581 gives, in RGA Companies 1902-24:

No. 9 Company - 1.1.02 - formed by redes of 27 Coy, Eastern Division

27.3.20 - Personnel absorbed into 54 Coy at Gibraltar

Absorbed into 8 Coy.

1.6.24 - 8 Coy became 31 Hy Bty, RA.

Daggers

cheers daggers.

sorry if this is stupid question but little confused by that.

so when the Divisional system was abolished and all companies RGA were re-numbered sequentially from 1 to 105, the 9th company was renamed 27 Coy? because this looks like the 9th company of the new system not the 9th company of the Eastern Division.

Kev

In better light (these newfangled eurolamps do not help) I found this on p. 580 of the same work:

'Part 5D R.G.A.COMPANIES 1902-24

In 1902 the three divisions of Royal Garrison Artillery (see Part 5 C) were broken up and the companies re-numbered in one series of which some were converted into heavy batteries in 1903 and others a year later, and some siege train companies were formed. On the whole the numbering remained fixed until 1914 when some were converted into heavy or siege batteries (see Part 7 A). Thirty-five companies, including two formerly Militia,serving in the British Isles and Channel Isles were formed into new fire commands ( see A[rmy].O[order]. 287 of 10. 1918); in 1920-21 some lettered coast batteries were formed from the old companies (see Part 5 E) and in 1922 four numbered heavy batteries were formed for service at Constantinople from coast batteries ( see Part % F) which were broken up into their prior elements in 1923 (see Part 5 E).'

The author then refers us to "1902 to 1936. Changes in Designation of Royal Artillery Companies" printed at the Royal Artillery Institution, Woolwich.

I do not pretend to understand all this - I merely pass on what I read. The whole family history of gunner units is a tangled web, I fear. I shall step aside in favour of those with better knowledge, and will have a look in the 1911 Census for some ancestors and see what they were up to !

Best wishes

Daggers

The former 9th Eastern division Royal Regiment of Artillery which had been based in Aden prior to India, became 39 Coy RGA at the above changeover. 1904 finds 39 Company at Plymouth designated (ST).

By June 1911 it was designated 'siege' and based at Fort Stamford, Plymouth. a garrison of 176 men inclusive of 4 Officers, 12 Serjeants and 2 Trumpeters. so possibly he had transfered by then. You can track any garrison's movements by the monthly returns at Kew, though it appears to have stayed at Plymouth from at least March 1904. Might be worth checking to see if he is on the LSGC roll (Chris Baker) in Documents.

Rgds Paul

EDIT: ST = Siege Train.

Daggers, I have attached changeover numbering but did not have time to name actual garrisons.

Three Divisions were: Southern, Eastern & Western

RGA_Companies_changeover_1902.pdf

I've found some more information which sort of confirms what you found ororkep. He doesn't appear on the 1901 census, but on the 1911 census he is living in Welling, Kent. however he has a daughter born in Devonport 1905.... so looks like he stayed with the company. But looks like he transferred before 1911.

Thank you guys for the help. Will have to take a trip down to kew a get his service records.

Cheers

Kev

Hello,

Having 'Goggled' EDRGA I found a numer of sets of medals for sale (Gnrs Boland,Hamlet and Scowen) all of the 6th EDRGA, but the medals were the Queens South Africa 1899 -1902. This suggests that the EDRGA was a geographic designation and that, perhaps, the units of EDRGA were located in Africa, India and other points east.

Old Tom