Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Herbert Thomas Oliver 7643

Guest Ian Tebbs

Guest Ian Tebbs

Dear Group Members,

I trying to find out as much as possible about my Grandfather, Herbert Thomas Oliver who was killed on the 29th October 1914 during the 1st Battle of Ypres. He does not have an individual grave but is remembered on the Menin Gate Memorial. His record on the National Roll of the Great War states he was killed by a "sniper" at Ypres.

I understand he was a regular, in the 2nd Battalion of the Alexander Princess of Wale's Own (Yorkshire Regiment) and that after training in Guernsey he was then attached, with his unit, to the 7th Division of the BEF which fought in France and Flanders.

I would appreciate any other information anyone could give me. Particularly regarding the following:

Would he have been killed at the Battle of Gheluvelt, as seems likely? What was the role of the Yorkshire Regiment leading up to and during that battle? When they use the word "sniper" does this suggest being killed away from the main area of battle?

I intend visiting his memorial and surrounding area later this year and seek as much information as I can possible obtain.

Many thanks.

Ian