Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Australian Tunnelling Company 1916-19

Robin Sanderson

Can anyone please give me information on where to obtain a company history of the above Company or other reports by the above officer Alexander Sanderson who was my paternal grandfather.I have many family archives that I need to supplement to produce a more comprehensive overview of the 3 tunnelling companies and especially the 3rd.

nb in 2006 Andrew P (member 43) posted that he had a copy of a history written by a 3rd Tunnelling Officer,probably my grandfather? I am a new member and unsure how to contact other members via the Forum!

Many thanks

Robin Sanderson

Hi Robin

Hope that i can point you in the direction of the unit war diary. Many Australian war diaries are available online. Unfortunately it seems those of the Tunneling units are not amongst them. You will find they are filed in Class 16 at the following site

www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1

Maybe an email to them will get you some info on how to access the war diary.

Hope of a little help

Chris

Hi Robin,

The Australian Tunnelling Company diaries are held at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. They are slowly putting Australian units War Diaries on line. I was at the AWM, Canberra last month and asked the ladies in the reading room when the Tunnelling Company diaries would be going oin line. They said it would be in the next 2 years. The Royal Engineer Library at Chatham should hold copies of the diaries and any surviving plans from the companies. The UK National Archives should also hold copies. I do know that some Royal Engineer Tunnelling Company Officers personal diaries are held at Chatham. It may be worth seeing if even a cpoy of his private diary is at Canberra or Chatham.

Best regards

Iain

Hi Robin,

The Australian Tunnelling Company diaries are held at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. They are slowly putting Australian units War Diaries on line. I was at the AWM, Canberra last month and asked the ladies in the reading room when the Tunnelling Company diaries would be going oin line. They said it would be in the next 2 years. The Royal Engineer Library at Chatham should hold copies of the diaries and any surviving plans from the companies. The UK National Archives should also hold copies. I do know that some Royal Engineer Tunnelling Company Officers personal diaries are held at Chatham. It may be worth seeing if even a cpoy of his private diary is at Canberra or Chatham.

Best regards

Iain

Many thanks Chris and Iain :I will visit Chatham to check this up and contact the awm.

Robin

Hi Robin,

Indeed, 3rd Australian Tunnelling Company War Diaries are available at the National Archives at Kew at refs: WO95/553-557 inclusive. Click the link HERE!

Regards,

Jeremy

Hi Robin,

Indeed, 3rd Australian Tunnelling Company War Diaries are available at the National Archives at Kew at refs: WO95/553-557 inclusive. Click the link HERE!

Regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

Apparently I need to visit to gain access:however, thanks to you I have the references to ask for the files when I go

Robin

Hi Robin

The manuscript of the 3rd Tunnelling Company was indeed written by an officer of that unit but unfortunately it wasn't written by your grandfather, though he is mentioned in the text quite a lot.

Even though this wasn't written by your grandfather if you are still interested in obtaining a copy I can give you the manuscript details.

Also, there is a history of the 3 Australian Tunnelling Companies which is hopefully coming out this year which has been written by Damian Finlayson.

Another member of this forum, Chris Donnelly is researching the 3rd Tunnelling Company so it might be worth getting into contact with him as he may have more information on your grandad.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Many thanks for this post.I would be extremely interested and grateful to see a copy of this manuscript by the A 3 T Officer.I am also very interested to hear that Damian Finlayson is bringing out a book on the 3rd this year.How could I contact him please?

Incidentally, I have inherited from my father (who was a Burma Shangshak para veteran-another story!) many historic documents that belonged to Alex Sanderson ie one unique 60 page file of Inspector of Mines' reports to The 3rd Co and other English, Canadian Tunnelling companies (Do you think these are held on record elsewhere?) on eg booby trap devices, German land and road mines , grenades, prisoner reportsetc that were all vital to our advance following the German rapid planned retreat to the Hindenberg line plus many unpublished trench maps &a rchive ground and aerial photos, Unit calendars,cartoons, Xmas cards between tunnellers,photos,interview report/letters by EW Bean to Alex etc ; plus his personal account so I guess even if a book is out this year I have a wealth of material to add to the debate.I am keen to produce as definitive a history as possible given the source materials I hold.

Thank you.I am very grateful for any leads to fit the last pieces in the complete jigsaw.

Robin

I have a nasty feeling I know who is editing Damien's book ....

Will make some enquiries.

It is apparaently called Crumps and Camouflets the story of the Australian Tunnelling Companies in France and Belgium 1916 – 1919.

Hi Robin

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The manuscript is titled

3rd Australian Tunnelling Coy History December 1915-May 1919

AWM 224

MSS78 Parts 1-2

The following link will take you to the reference in the National Archives of Australia database

*Link Deleted* see Chris's post below*

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Robin

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The manuscript is titled

3rd Australian Tunnelling Coy History December 1915-May 1919

AWM 224

MSS78 Parts 1-2

The following link will take you to the reference in the National Archives of Australia database

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail...=0&B=934842

Cheers

Andrew

Many thanks Andrew.Kind of you.Appreciate this greatly

Robin

Many thanks Andrew.Kind of you.Appreciate this greatly

Robin

Andrew

I tried but it would not give me access.When I registered as a guest user and searched there was no access to the files just the statement 'Access status:open 'and barcode number.

I suppose one has to take a trip to Oz to see the files?!

Robin

Robin,

No need to come to Oz to access our National Archive records, go to their Records search homepage NAA Record Search and log in as a guest. The reason the link wouldn't work would be because of the unique cookie for Andrew and the timeout facility.

Anyway, I have the email address of the volunteer curator of the RAE Museum, he is very helpful and I am sure would be interested to hear from you, PM me if you want it.

Cheers,

Chris Henderson

• 9 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything more about this book? I'm keen to know when it's due out.

Crumps and Camouflets the story of the Australian Tunnelling Companies in France and Belgium 1916 – 1919

Mick

Hi Mick

Your post made me realise it was a long time since I'd heard anything on this too - so I emailed Damien, and have just had a reply.

Seems there have been a few problems with the publishing side of things - but should soon be smoothed out - and with a bit of luck, the book may be out in time for Anzac Day.

Cheers, Frev

Hi Mick

Your post made me realise it was a long time since I'd heard anything on this too - so I emailed Damien, and have just had a reply.

Seems there have been a few problems with the publishing side of things - but should soon be smoothed out - and with a bit of luck, the book may be out in time for Anzac Day.

Cheers, Frev

Hi Frev,

Sounds good - are you able to PM me his email address by any chance? I have some more questions for him.

Mick

Hi again Mick

Might be best if you PM me your email address & I'll pass it on to Damien.

Cheers, Frev

It's all good - another mate put me in touch.

Mick

• 6 months later...

Looks like "Crumps and Camouflets: Australian Tunnelling Companies on the Western Front" will be out soon. Looking forward to it.

Link here.

Mick

• 5 months later...

Looks like "Crumps and Camouflets: Australian Tunnelling Companies on the Western Front" will be out soon. Looking forward to it.

Link

Mick

Well and truly out now. Picked up my copy via a publisher's "stall" at the Chief of Army's History Conference....

About a third of the way through now (yes there were books to be read in line ahead of it!) and find it extremely well written and presented.

Hmmm....I've had my copy since July, but haven't had a chance to get to it yet.....despite moving it 'up the line' just recently....might have to make it my New Year resolution (so to speak!) Hope you'll do a review on it when you've finished!??

Cheers, Frev

• 8 years later...

Hi I was looking for info on my great uncle and came across your site I hope you are still in operation. 

My great uncle was Sgt Hugh Stafford Reg no 1159. I believe he was with the 3rd Tunnelling Aus group. He may have also been with the 6th Tunnelling group. He was married to my great aunt Katherine Main.

I have, thru the Australian War Memorial his enlistment. What I can’t find is wether or not he survived the war. Can anyone from your group help? 

His brother in law, Alfred Ernest Main has a memorial at VC Corner Fromelles. His other brothers in law David Alexander and Charles Main also died in France.  

My Granfather Walter Sydney Main came home from the war but fell from the roof of his home and was electrocuted in 1921. 

Just wondered if anyone can can tell me where I can find more records on my family please. Especially Hugh Atchison Stafford. 

Regards Kerry Burrows. 

Family on my maternal side is Holt Main Furphy. 

Hugh Atchison Stafford seems to have survived the war & lived until 1954.  There are several trees on Ancestry that feature him, and a couple mention service in a "WW1 Mining Corps unit". As ever any information on these trees is only as could as their creators research.

1975107642_ScreenShot2019-09-23at17_05_57.png.03dca760c9c281d3dee60b9e3dcc6214.png

Hi Kerry, and welcome to the forum…

Some info for you:

STAFFORD, Hugh Acheson (Sgt 1159, 3rd Tunnelling Coy)

Service Record:

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8091649

Hugh enlisted in the AIF on the 2/10/1915

Embarked in Sydney 20/2/1916 on the A38 Ulysses [the Ulysses was held up at Fremantle, WA, for repairs following an accident, and finally departed WA on the 2/4/1916]

Disembarked Marseilles, France 5/5/1916 and entrained for Hazebrouck

War Diaries for the 3rd Tunnelling Coy:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1339272

While on Leave in England in 1917, he was admitted to the 2nd Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Southall 7/7/1917 with Sciatica

Invalided home, he embarked in London on the A24 Benalla 25/8/1917 for return to Australia for Home Service

Discharged from the AIF 9/11/1917

He was a resident of 1 Isabel St, Bentley Park, WA, when he died on the 10/1/1954, aged 89 – following a Methodist Service held in the Crematorium Chapel on the 13/1/1954, he was cremated and his ashes dispersed at the Karrakatta Cemetery

http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KC00008231

MAIN BROTHERS:

*MAIN, Alfred Ernest (Pte 3394, 53rd Bn)

Service Record:

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8212044

Roll of Honour Circular: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1648692

Red Cross Wounded & Missing File: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1495181

*MAIN, David Alexander (Pte 5383, 16th Bn)

SR: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8212052

Roll of Honour Circular: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1648800

*MAIN, Charles Hay (Pte 5134, 13th Bn)

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8212048

Roll of Honour Circular: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1648693

*MAIN, Walter Sydney (Pte 1627, 32nd Bn)

SR: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8206641

*MAIN, Robert John (Gnr 27743, 3rd FAB)

SR: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8206635

Best of luck with your research

Cheers, Frev

13 hours ago, travers61 said:

Hugh Atchison Stafford seems to have survived the war & lived until 1954.  There are several trees on Ancestry that feature him, and a couple mention service in a "WW1 Mining Corps unit". As ever any information on these trees is only as could as their creators research.

1975107642_ScreenShot2019-09-23at17_05_57.png.03dca760c9c281d3dee60b9e3dcc6214.png

Thank you. I use My Heritage, so I will update my info.