Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Army in Romania

Seawalker

Hello everybody,

I am new on this forum and I hope you can help me in my interest for Eastern front and especially Romanian front. I would like to say I am a novice and my knowledge about this part of the front are not so huge.

I would like to know if a British Mission have been sent in Romanian as the French Mission leading by General Berthelot.

I make few research on web but I have not find any information about British soldiers in Romania.

I hope you can help me

(Sorry for my writing, I am not english)

Anthon

Dear Anthon,

Welcome to the Forum!

Don't worry about your English...it is better than my French.

You will find the Forum a very friendly and informative, if addictive, place.

Bruce

Hallo Anthon :D

greetings from Transylvania, Romania, there must have been a British connection as I clearly remember a couple of

years ago a medal bar for a British soldier including a Romanian award "Barbatie si Credentia" literal Manhood & Loyalty

Medal and the official Romanian award Brevet / paperwork.

The seller blurb gave the info that the Sergeant was involved in training Romanians in the use of the Lewis gun.

I will check around and see if i can get something more concrete.

Connaught Stranger.

At the war end of the war the 10th Devons were advancing to the Danube and were ordered to proceed to Bucharest. When the King and Queen of Romania announced that they would return to their capital city, the British Government regretted that there would be no British military presence on parade. General Berthelot (commander of Allied Forces in Romania) requested that the 10th Devons try and get to Bucharest and so they set off on a series of forced marches.

"the battalion found itself with 40 miles to Bucharest to cover over very indifferent roads, in atrocious weather, and 2 days to do it. But the 10th rose to the occasion, marched as they had never marched before, covered 21 miles on the 28th with hardly a straggler, completed the remaining 19 the next day."

"the Romanians had been told that no British troops would be present and had been greatly disappointed. The Devon's arrival at such short notice was therefore all the more appreciated. The battalion lined the first bit of the route by which the King and Queen entered the city, then after the Royal party had passed they fell into place in the procession to the central square, where the King took the salute. The battalion had a wonderful reception and crowds of school children did their best to sing the British National Anthem. The Queen, herself a member of the British Royal Family by birth, expressed her pleasure at seeing the British battalion and invited the officers to tea the next day."

The battalion was commanded by Lt-Col. Henry Hilton-Green, DSO and he was awarded the Romanian Order of the Star. I have his medals in my collection.

I also have a group to a man who served with the RNAS Armoured Car Squadron in Russia which also went to help the Rumanian Army.

Steve

The battalion was commanded by Lt-Col. Henry Hilton-Green, DSO and he was awarded the Romanian Order of the Star. I have his medals in my collection.

Steve, great info, any chance you can post a picture of the medals?

Connaught Stranger :D

Hello Connaught Stranger and Steve

Thank you very much for your answer.

As you seen in my signature, I am interested in a New Zealander who received romanian award. I had wrote to the Military Archives in Bucuresti and they have sent me few informations that I have attached in signature.

But I am looking for what reason a New Zealander has been sent in Romania. His unit, Tunnelling Company fight in Arras sector during a great part of the War before move to Picardie and Belgium in July 1918.

Thanks for your help,

Best Wishes

Anthon

Hallo Anthon :D

greetings from Transylvania, Romania, there must have been a British connection as I clearly remember a couple of

years ago a medal bar for a British soldier including a Romanian award "Barbatie si Credentia" literal Manhood & Loyalty

Medal and the official Romanian award Brevet / paperwork.

The seller blurb gave the info that the Sergeant was involved in training Romanians in the use of the Lewis gun.

I will check around and see if i can get something more concrete.

Connaught Stranger.

Dear Connaught Stranger

I am coming back to Romania. I was in Brasov for Xmas Holidays. I discovered a wonderful and lovelly country.

I wanted to go to the Military Archives in Bucuresti but it was closed for holidays. I have small information about my man.

But it is very important for me to know his story.

Thank you for your help

Best wishes

Anthon

Colonel Henry Francis Leonard Hilton-Green, DSO, MC, 2nd Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment. A unique combination of awards.

Hallo Steve, :D

many thanks for posting the pictures of Colonel Henry Francis Leonard Hilton-Green awards,

one point, take extreme care of the Romanian award many examples have suffered enamel damage from tapping of other awards on a bar, the enamel is also fragile with regards tempreture variations.

Connaught Stranger. :D

Hello Anthon

The service file for Francis Henry CLIFFORD is available in the New Zealand Archives in Wellington - this is a link to the references -

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFu...do?OID=10907278

This page says that records must be viewed at the archives (could be a very nice holiday!) but if you look at this thread

it does look as if it is possible to get a copy for a cost of NZ $25.00

Also forum member zacknz has in the past been able to inspect a record at the archive and very kindly post all the relevant information from it

Perhaps you could send him a PM (private message) but you might need to have made 5 posts on the forum to do that

Otherwise - try a new post with NZ in the heading perhaps??

Good Luck

Sue K

Anthon,

The award of a Rumanian medal does not mean that the recipient had to have served in Rumania. For example, 56 Rumanian awards were made to members of the Indian Army. I doubt that Risaldar Ahmad Khan of the 8th Patiala Camel Corps even knew where Rumania was, yet he received the Order of the Crown of Rumania. Many British soldiers and sailors received Imperial Russian awards while serving in France and Belgium. Clifford probably only ever served in France.

regards,

Steve

Dear Steve

Thanks for your post. It is very interesting. I am a beginner and I don't know all side of History of the Great War. Please can you answer to my question. If my man doesn't served in Romania, why he received this medal? He is the only tunnellers of his company to have an award of Romania.

The service file for Francis Henry CLIFFORD is available in the New Zealand Archives in Wellington

Thanks for mentionned it Sue. I knew this personnel files but I don't ask a copy yet. I am going to New Zealand in few months and I think I will go to NZ Archives to consult his files.

Thank you again

Best Wishes

Anthon

Dear Steve

Thanks for your post. It is very interesting. I am a beginner and I don't know all side of History of the Great War. Please can you answer to my question. If my man doesn't served in Romania, why he received this medal? He is the only tunnellers of his company to have an award of Romania.

Thanks for mentionned it Sue. I knew this personnel files but I don't ask a copy yet. I am going to New Zealand in few months and I think I will go to NZ Archives to consult his files.

Thank you again, Best Wishes

Anthon

Hallo Anthon, :D

post-18479-1232099823.jpg post-18479-1232099870.jpg

Examples of Romanian Medalia Bărbăţie şi Credinţă, in my collection.

it was very common for the Allies to award Decorations and Medals amongst themselves,

for example a box of awards was sent to the respective country and their War Ministry were expected to pick soldiers who were deemed suitable for the award, there were awards for Officers, NCO's and men.

Occasionally an award to a certain soldier could be requested if his exploits were made known amongst the Allied Command or via a newspaper story.

Connaught Stranger. :D

Hello Connaught Stranger

Thanks for your answer and for yours photos.

My man received 2nd class medal. Please tell me what medal is on your photo?

Best Wishes

Anthon

Hello

I fund more information about Medalia Bărbăţie şi Credinţă on this website:

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.p...oreign_romanian

The Manhood and Faithfulness Medal was awarded to noncommissioned Officers and enlisted men for service to the Crown of Romania as well as for lesser acts of Bravery. It was awarded in 3 classes, with and without swords; 1st class In Gold (gilt), 2nd class Silver and 3rd class In Bronze. For military service the medal was awarded with crossed swords.

During the First World War, when Romania was associated with the Allied powers, this award was also given to British N.C.O.'s for acts of bravery in the Eastern Theatre of War.

The words BARBATIE SI CREDINTA Literal translation is "Manhood and Faith" and in the context of this award means "Manhood- courage and Bravery Faith (as in faith in God)".

Best Wishes

Anthon