Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training squdrons-RFC

Bow123

Just a postscript to the above.Did the training squadrons remain the same after the RFC's merger into the RAF? Also does anyone know which RFC/RAF squadrons saw service on the Western Front?

Thanks

Roger

See Sturtivant, Ray + Hamlin, John + Halley, James J Royal Air Force Flying Training and Support Units (Air-Britain, Tunbridge Wells, 1997).

Hello,

thanks for the advice.Unfortunately I don't have the book.All I want to know is roughly what number range Training squadrons used.For example, were they designated between 250 and 400?I do not need a whole list.

Regards

Roger

Hi Roger,

According to Chris Hobson's "Airmen Died . . ." the analysis of deaths by squadron listed 95 Training Squadrons numbered from 1 to 200 (with some gaps obviously as some recorded no deaths and some numbers were unused), with 72 in the range 1 thru 75, 14 in the range 78 thru 92 as being Canadian and 9 between 186 and 200 for Night training squadrons. Though not a full list obviously, it does give you a rough idea of the numbers.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please help clarify whether Training squadrons were actually called Training squadrons or were they called Reserve squadrons.So would a squadron be called for example no.1 training squadron or no1 Reserve squadron?

Thanks

Roger

Roger,

From Chris Hobsen's "Airmen Died in the Great War", apparently Training Squadrons were known as Reserve Aeroplane Squadrons from August 1914 until 13th January 1916 and Reserve Squadrons from 13th January 1916 to 31st May 1917, after which they were redesignated as Training Squadrons. The Canadian Reserve Squadrons became known as Training Squadrons in October 1917.

Regards

Steve