Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surrey Regiment

jd2511

Hello everybody, I have been tracking down a lost great uncle and have after many months (and the releae of the 1911 census) have narrowed my search to two people. My great uncles name was Hubert Jackson and he was 19 at the start of the great war. I have found a Hubert Jackson who I suspect is my great uncle, however, I have also found a H Jackson from the east surrey regiment. I knw another of my great uncles was in the east surrey's and that is what making me think could this be his brother. The service record number for H Jackson in theEast Surreys is SR/3402 and he died on 09/05/1915 showing no age at death. If I could find out either his first name or age this would help me eliminate him from my investigation. I thank you in anticiation and hopefully my long search is nearly over.

John

Hello John

The H Jackson you have found is 3402 Pte Henry Albert Jackson 2nd Bn East Surrey's born in Bermondsey according to SDGW.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Forum by the way.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thank you very much for the welcome, what a wonderful site this is. That is very usefull information. I think that I have found my great uncle at last. I just need to confirm that it is the Hubert Jackson who was born in Gloucs and lived in London with his parents Edward and Ada at the outbreak of the great war. The Hubert Jackson who I have found was a private in the 6th London Field Amb, Royal Army Medical Corps, who died on 15th September 1916. If it is my great uncle he would have been approx 20 at the time of his death.

If anyone can confirm these facts for me I would be most grateful.

Many thanks again

John

John

It almost fits the bill:

Name: Hubert Jackson

Birth Place: Hereford

Residence: London

Death Date: 15 Sep 1916

Enlistment Location: Wandsworth, Surrey

Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps

Battalion: (Territorial Force.)

Number: 1599

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

regards

Mel

Thank you very much Mel. That is my great uncle. He did live in Wandsworth with his parents, I'd forgotten back hen Wandsworth was in Surrey. I can't tell you how graefull I am. Again thank you so much.

John

John

If you drop Barbara membership name BJay a PM she may be able to help you with a short history of the 6th London Field Ambulance that I believe she has a copy of.

regards

Mel

Ps Some good information on LLT here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/fieldambulances.htm

Hello John

The H Jackson you have found is 3402 Pte Henry Albert Jackson 2nd Bn East Surrey's born in Bermondsey according to SDGW.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Forum by the way.

Ian

Ian, I've just seen your reply to John and wondered if you have any information about my grandfather Ernest William Smith who was with the 9th East Surrey Regiment. He was granted a Temporary Commission as 2nd Lieutenant 10.3.15.

In 22.2.16 he was posted to the 5th Bn Connaught Rangers.

Thank you,

Mary

Hello Mary

I've looked on 'Officers Died in the Great War' and he doesn't appear to be listed so presumably he survived. I am not an expert on the East Surrey's but there are certainly some on the Forum. The best thing would be to start a new topic putting '9th East Surrey's' as part of its title, that way it will get spotted by one of the experts and hopefully someone will have some information for you.

Good luck in your search.

Ian