Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unkown regiment?

Guest blossoms

Guest blossoms

has anybody heard of the 'royal lancashire regiment'. this has appeared on the medal role for my great grandfather who served with the lancashire fusiliers, which is also cited on the medal role. could this be a misutake of the person entering the regiments onto the medal role?

I think this refers to the The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster).

4th Foot became in May 1881 The Royal Lancaster Regiment (The King's Own) becoming in July 1881 The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)

They merged with the Border Regiment in 1959 becoming

The King's Own Border Regiment.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm,

One of my Old Boys, Charles Wells, was, according to CWGC, in 7th Bn. Royal Lancaster Regiment before he transferred to the RFC. Any idea why CWGC doesn't refer to it as 7th Bn. The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)?

Regards,

David

Take a tip. Read the Long, Long Trail for questions like this. Try it. Type lancaster into the search box and see what you get, for example.

Chris,

Always check main site after fiasco with Casualty Clearing Stations! Found two King's Owns: Lancaster and Scottish Borderers. Just wondered why CWGC doesn't use King's Own tag for Lancasters. Couldn't be any confusion with only two. Was it, perhaps, a regimental custom not to use the King's Own tag?

Regards,

David

Was it, perhaps, a regimental custom not to use the King's Own tag?

Nope.

Within the regiment, it was simply known as the "Kings Own" (forget the "Royal", the "regiment" and the "Lancaster") when used in conversation and/or written about in anything other than official documentation. (There was no confusion, as the other "kings own" were always referred to as the "Kosbies" or "KOSB", or the "Koylies" or "KOYLI", etc. etc.).

The shoulder titles. the cap badge and the serving soldiers (my father included) only ever used the term "Kings Own", and ,on rare occasions, "the Kings Own Lancasters".

The official designation is as previously mentioned, however. (But who ever likes to keep things on the official lines when in the Army? :D )

Dave.

The official designation is as previously mentioned, however. (But who ever likes to keep things on the official lines when in the Army? :D )

Dave.

Oh so true Dave!

Aye

Malcolm

The CWGC seem to use both "Royal Lancaster Regiment" and "King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment" for WW1 commemorations. There is no apparent logic as to which variant is used.

Regards.

Andy.