The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New CWGC Commemoration

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualty to its Debt of Honour database today – Monday 11th January.

Pte William Arthur OVERTON

10749 4th Bn, Coldstream Guards

Died 28.06.17 Age 20

Buried: Haywards Heath (Western Road) Cemetery, Sussex, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Pte OVERTON was put forward on 27.08.08 on behalf of member, Chris Harley. He will supply details of the case but, as the grave is only five minutes from where I am sitting, I am attaching the photo below.

post-19-1231780820.jpg

Regular followers of the notices will see that I have amended the title of these posts. Some newer members were mistakenly thinking that all 'new' names listed here were finds by the 'In From The Cold Project'. In fact, they are notices of all WW1 additions no matter what their source. When I know who made a submission, I shall include the name.

May He Rest In Peace

Will give the whole story later on as work is taking up all of my time today

Thanks to Terry for getting the grave shot & confirming the burial place

Will there now be any further work on the grave?

Chris

This case was the result of my continuing research into the East Sussex Coroners Records.

William was the eldest son of William & Catherine M Overton born Q4 1896 at Cuckfield, Sussex. The 1901 census shows his father aged 31 born Croydon a baker & his mother aged 28 born Southampton. The family were resident at Franklyn Road, Haywards Heath - by this time William had a sister Dorothy aged 2 born Haywards Heath.

25th May 1914 William enlisted into the Coldstream Guards at Brighton his occupation shown as baker. His NOK is shown on his documents as his father William & his brothers Allen, George & Geoffrey.

His physical description on enlistment is as follows

Height 5ft 9 & a half inches - weight 140 pounds - eyes grey with a fresh complexion - there were several scars on his right knee cap.

His religion was CofE.

He is shown as serving at home from 25th May 1914 to the 31st Oct 1914 when he proceeded abroad with the BEF - his gravestone shows that he wounded at Ypres during Nov 1914 - a gunshot wound to the head - he was returned home to England 21st Dec 1914. He was discharged from the 4th Reserve Bn Coldstream Guards 8th Apr 1914 at Victoria Barracks, Windsor as no longer physically fit for military service. His conduct is shown as very good "a trustworthy hard working man". Upon discharge he returned to the family home at Haywards Heath.

His pension records go to show total blindness due to his head wound - he was also suffering from memory loss. The doctors judged the effects to be physical - total incapacity.

During Q1 1917 he married Ethel M Barnard at Brighton.

He died 28th June 1917 cause (1) gunshot wound to the head (2) epilepsy syncope at 124 Osborn Road, Preston, Brighton

The final chapter occurs in Q1 1918 when a William A Overton is born in Cuckfield, E Sussex the son of a lady whose maiden name was Barnard

Terry

I believe I have enough evidence to complete his NOK details both for his wife & parents.

Chris

Well done Chris and all involved, great to read his story also Chris.

Not forgotten.

Andy

Nice one Chris