Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching an officer from the East African campaign

Jonathan Saunders

I've recently been asked for some suggestions as to how you go about researching an officer in the East African Campaign and wondered if any of you had already attempted this or had ideas?

The officer in question is August George Rehm and he was a Captain in the East Africa Regiment - his medal card exists. Would officers from this Regiment be included in the Army Lists thus providing some brief outline of his service?

His army service record is not listed on Procat - is there an archive office where it might possibly exist (similar to Oriental & India Office at the British Library)? His medals appear to have been issued from the Colonial office - would their records hold anything?

Any other ideas??

Regards,

Jonathan S

Jonathan

May I suggest that you drop Kondoa a PM in case he doesn't see this thread. He has done a lot of research on the East Africa campaign and visited the battlefields.

Regards

Mel

Jonathan, Despite an interest in the East African campaign I've never researched a 'Colonial' Officer before so can't help there but there are some entries in the London Gazette for him......

1. Commissioned as Captain (LG#29408, 20 December 1915). Link to Gazette is Here

The undermentioned are granted temporary rank whilst serving in East Africa: —

As Captain—

August George Rehn. Dated 6th August, 1914.

2. Surname corrected (LG#29499, 7 March 1916). Link to Gazette is Here

The surnames of the undermentioned are as now described, and not as in the Gazette of 20th December, 1915: —

Temporary Major Charles Joseph Ross.

Temporary Captain August George Rehm.

3. Awarded MC (LG#30450, 1 January 1918). Link to Gazette is Here

T./Capt August George Rehm, Gen. List, E A P Corps

4. Promoted to Temp/Major (LG#31282, 9 April 1919). Link to Gazette is Here

The undermentioned temp Capts. to be temp. Majs.: —

A. G. Rehm, M.C., whilst empld. as Chief Paymr., E. Afr. Pay Corps. 10th Apr. 1919.

5. Relinquishment of Temporary Rank (LG#31959, 30 June 1920). Link to Gazette is Here

The undermentioned relinquish the temp. rank of Maj.: —

Temp, Capt. A. G. Rehm, M.C., Gen. List, on ceasing to be empld. as Chief Paymr., E. Afr. Pay Corps. 12th Jan. 1920.

Regards

Steve

Missed one..

6. Relinquishment of commission (LG#32442, 31 August 1921). Link to Gazette is Here

MEMORANDA.

The undermentioned Officers, E. Afr. Forces, relinquish their commns. on completion of service: —

Temp. Capt. A. G. Rehm (since decd.), 16th Feb. 1920, and is granted the rank of Maj.

Regards

Steve

Jonathon

A quick look at the London Gazette brought a few results including the award of an MC in the 1918 New Years Honours. In 1907 a Mr A Rehm of the Uganda Volunteers took part in Bisley, might be him. This is from The Times but I could not find an obituary or death notice for him.

He was born about 1864 and Ancestry has a record of him arriving in the Uk at Southampton from East Africa on the 10 September 1920 aboard the SS Manora. However he did not stay for long as he died on 12 April 1921 and is buried in the Nairobi (Forest Road) Cemetery; also on the CWGC is a Serjeant of the Manchester Regiment who died 26 August 1914 - a relative?

Hope that this is of some use.

Aled

Many thanks to all who have responded and to Kondoa for his email.

Your help, comments and links have been most appreciated.

Regards,

Jonathan S

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I am researching 7103 S / Sjt Miss Mable / Mabel Rehm, East African Pay Corps.

I have this ladies MIC from the NA which only confirms her pair with the name as Mable

& all I can get from Ancestry is the 1901 England Census which gives the following

Age 4 born about 1897 born India & living with Mum 40, August 10, Emma 9 & William 1.

She was MiD in Sir J L Van Deventer's despatch dated 20 Jan 1919 for the period 1 Aug 1918 to the end of hostilities, in the East African Force. In this she is Mabel.

I have hit a brick wall, can any one point me in any direction to futher research this lady??

Peter

[EDIT: D**m! Didn't see that earlier thread. Would've saved me a bit of time!]

Peter, I can't find much on Mabel, but lots on her family!

Here's the family departing Dover for Kilindini, Kenya, aboard SS Markgraf on 4 Sep 1907, travelling 2nd Class.

Mr Rehm, merchant

Mrs Rehm, lady

Miss M Rehm

Miss E Rehm

Mast H Rehm

"Mast H Rehm" is William from the 1901 census (Herbert William, born Chorlton Q4 1899).

Eldest son August(e) George remained in the UK and was killed at Le Cateau on 26 Aug 1914 as Serjeant in 2nd Bn Manchester Regiment.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=723766

Service no. is wrong on CWGC, should be 9873.

His service record (several more pages working backwards, including Mabel's signature on his medal receipts) is on Ancestry, and there's a brief entry in de Ruvigny's.

He was educated at Albion Schools, Ashton-under-Lyne 1900-1904. He appears to have enlisted as Boy in March 1904.

He gave his NoK as father August Rehm, Director of Surveys Office, Nairobi.

The father was also called August(e) George, who married Elizabeth Harbinson in Manchester Q4 1885.

The statement of "relatives now living" of A.G. jnr (Ancestry #68) dated 1919 shows that the parents, Herbert/William and Mabel are all in Nairobi, while Emmie is now Mrs Richardson and working for the Bank of India in Entebbe, Uganda.

30/7/1920

Mabel (23) arrived at London with her mother Elizabeth (58, occupation "None" for both) from Mombasa aboard SS Garth Castle.

10/9/20

The father, August George, age 56, Army Officer, arrived at London from Mombasa aboard SS Nevasa.

He must have returned to Kenya soon afterwards, as he died there 7 months later:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=124912

17/3/1921

Miss M Rehm (last address in UK: 8 Strathyne St, Shawlands, Glasgow), age 23 departed (alone) London for Mombasa aboard SS Gloucester Castle. Intended future residence Kenya Colony.

Looks like most of the family remained in Kenya. Herbert/William was back and forth between UK and Kenya until at least 1952.

I can't find any marriage or death of Mabel Rehm in the Overseas listings.

Hope this helps!

Adrian