The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

B.Q.M.SGT.RGA

paul leighton

Hi, Could anybody help, I’m trying to work out exactly what a B.Q.M.SGT would have had as his main identification on his uniform.

Am I right in stating that he would have worn a brass RGA shoulder title and on the rest of his arm?

I have been told it was a crown, would have this been with sgt strips, and as to the crown would this have been a brass type as

in a w02 with a wreath or would it of been a plastic economy type. The man I’m researching served the 97th siege batt and at

present I’m trying to get an incite into what his uniform looked like.

Any help will be well appreciated

Kind regards Paul

Paul

after looking through some notes I believe a brass crown (plastic economy badges didn't appear until WWII) within a wreath would have been worn on the lower sleeve. I don't think Sgt stripes were worn post 1915 when the crown appeared above the stripes on the upper arm, and yes RGA S/Ts would have been worn. I'm no expert and do stand to be corrected.

Jon

Battery Quartermaster Sergeant 1914: small crown and gun over 3 bear chevron upper arm. The authoritative book on RA uniform says crown brass, but I have my doubts. The gun, facing forwards, was certainly brass.

['brass' is a misnomer for gilding metal, by the way]

I appologise for feeding you a dummy Paul. Thank you for the enlightenment Grumpy, I've amended my notes and I'm off to chew my hat now,

Jon

Paul

after looking through some notes I believe a brass crown (plastic economy badges didn't appear until WWII) within a wreath would have been worn on the lower sleeve. I don't think Sgt stripes were worn post 1915 when the crown appeared above the stripes on the upper arm, and yes RGA S/Ts would have been worn. I'm no expert and do stand to be corrected.

Jon

Hi thanks for the help and time ,best wishes paul

Paul

Jon

Hi thanks for the help and time ,best wishes paul

Hi my avater picture shows bqms RFA

it might help

julie

thank you,very much, best wishes paul

Not the finest picture but this dates from July 1918

Roop

thank very much for your help, best wishes paul