Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAPTAIN ERIC FRANK PENN

SPOOKER

Would like a photo and any information regarding CAPTAIN ERIC FRANK PENN 4th battalion Grenadier Guards killed 18/10/1915 when a shell struck his dugout opposite the Hohenzollern Redoubt (LOOS).

Any help would be great WIELTJE. ^_^ .

Would like a photo and any information regarding CAPTAIN ERIC FRANK PENN 4th battalion Grenadier Guards killed 18/10/1915 when a shell struck his dugout opposite the Hohenzollern Redoubt (LOOS).

Any help would be great WIELTJE. ^_^ .

hi,Captain eric(frank) penn killed 18/10/1915.son of william and constance penn of london.Husband of gladis penn of baldshaw place,baldshaw sussex.(brother)Buried vermelles british cemetery,par de calais france.Grave ref I.K.11.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

WIELTJE,

A copy of his MIC.

Cheers Andy.

Bio and Picture here, Wieltje:

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/London/StockExchange.html

Please ask the website owner for permission to use the picture and information. He is GWF member "MEMORIAL MAN" .

No shortage of other Google hits either:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...sa=N&tab=iw

Steve.

Lieut. Eric Frank Penn, Grenadier Guards

Born in 1878, the son of W. Penn of Taverham Hall, Norwich

At Eton from Sept 1891 to July 1897 (Crickett XI, 1897; Field XI, 1896; Mixed Wall, 1896; Oppidian Wall 1895-1896; won quarter, throwing cricket ball, and weight 1897.

At Trinity College, Cambridge from 1897-1902 (Cambridge XI, 1899)

Lieut. R. Scots Militia during the South African War

2nd Lieut, Norfolk Yeomanry

During the Great War served as a Captain, Grenadier Guards (mentioned in despatches, KIA-18 Oct 1915)

Sources: Eton School Register, 1893-1899: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War; Fifty Years of Sport: Eton, Harrow, Winchester; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

post-765-1232557593.jpg

• 11 months later...
Lieut. Eric Frank Penn, Grenadier Guards

Born in 1878, the son of W. Penn of Taverham Hall, Norwich

At Eton from Sept 1891 to July 1897 (Crickett XI, 1897; Field XI, 1896; Mixed Wall, 1896; Oppidian Wall 1895-1896; won quarter, throwing cricket ball, and weight 1897.

At Trinity College, Cambridge from 1897-1902 (Cambridge XI, 1899)

Lieut. R. Scots Militia during the South African War

2nd Lieut, Norfolk Yeomanry

During the Great War served as a Captain, Grenadier Guards (mentioned in despatches, KIA-18 Oct 1915)

Sources: Eton School Register, 1893-1899: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War; Fifty Years of Sport: Eton, Harrow, Winchester; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

Thanks for picture brilliant!

A little bit more from Venn/A Cambridge Alumni Database 1200-1900 http://venn.csi.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search.p...amp;maxcount=50

Penn, Eric Frank.

Adm. pens. at TRINITY, June 25, 1897. [Eldest] s. of William, of Taverham Hall, Norfolk [and sometime of St Albans Court, Dover] (and Constance).

B. Apr. 17, 1878, in London.

School, Eton.

Matric. Michs. 1897.

Cricket 'blue,' 1899, 1902.

Served in the S. African War, 1899-1901 (Lieut., 3rd Royal Scots). Served in the Great War, 1914-19 (Second Lieut., Norfolk Yeomanry, 1914; Capt., 4th Grenadier Guards, 1915; mentioned in despatches); killed in action, Oct. 18, 1915. (Scott, MSS.; Book of Blues; Army Lists; Univ.

War List, which erroneously gives 'killed Feb. 11'; The Times, Oct. 25, 1915.)

• 5 years later...

A rather belated posting to this topic.

Does anyone have a trench map that shows where the 4th Grenadiers were in relation to the Hohenzollern Redoubt on 18 October 1915?

Does anyone have the Battalion diary of the 4th Grenadiers for this period?

Were the 3rd and 4th Battalions Grenadiers located near each other during this period?

Moriaty

• 7 months later...
Guest forestview

I took his grandson and great grandson to his grave on the anniversary of his death in October.

see www.battlefieldtours.co in the blog section

If you email me rhydian@battlefieldtours.co I will send you a trench map.

• 2 months later...

My cricket research took me to Nonnington church near Canterbury and he is mentioned on BOTH war memorials OUTSIDE of that village church.

• 5 years later...

I wrote the book, "Final Wicket" Test and First Class Crickets killed in the Great War. There is quite a bit about him on P163 

FINAL WICKET jpg.jpg