Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Richards

Catherine

Could anyone in the forum tell me where Frank Richards is buried? I have heard his grave is in Blaenau - does anyone know whereabouts exactly?

Thanks

Catherine

Can you give us more details so that we can help. Rank, number, unit, date of death - anything.

There are many Frank Richards and none of them is buried in Blaenau.

The only Frank Richards I can find buried in Wales is this one..

Name: RICHARDS, FRANK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Indefatigible."

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Service No: 5550/S

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 13. "U." 235.

Cemetery: NEWPORT (ST. WOOLLOS) CEMETERY

One of the Forum members, David Langley, is about to publish an updated version of 'Old Soldiers Never Die.' Which I believe was mentioned recently and will be on this site somewhere. I am sure he would know where Frank Richards is buried.

Regards

Terry

Here I am! 'St Francis' Cremated in Pontypridd Crem, with a memorial stone and a rose bush, died 26 Aug 1961 aged 78 and a bit. Matter was a mystery to me until Mr Don Donovan, RWF Old Comrades, ferreted it out. Picture of stone in my forthcoming OSND.

Book due to be published 22 June 2004, leaflets offering a discount awaited from the printers.

Oh, and Robt. Graves's contribution was considerable but NOT a major one. All in my Intro.

I too have a copy of 'Old Soldier Sahib' what a fantastic book, I have not yet bought Old Soldiers Never Die, but I will no doubt get the updated version when its released in June. I wonder if any of the camps, military graves etc. mentioned in Franks book still survive today?

Oh, and Robt. Graves's contribution was considerable but NOT a major one. All in my Intro.

In introduction to Old Soldier Sahib Graves says Old Soldiers had already been written and he urged Richards to write the book.If true that alone is a major contribution but some have said Graves was bad to lie.

Thanks, Langleybaston! Glad I didn't make the trip to Blaenau then!! I will mail you my details tomorrow to order a copy of your book.

In introduction to Old Soldier Sahib Graves says Old Soldiers had already been written and he urged Richards to write the book.If true that alone is a major contribution but some have said Graves was bad to lie.

I am privileged to have a full script of OSND with RG suggestions for amendments. Whereas this is clearly an iteration [FR wrote in mss of course], the extend of the contribution at this [final] stage is measurable. The widespread belief that RG either wrote [or substantially rewrote] it, is not sustainable.

While it may have been widely believed Graves wrote or helped write he did not claim that in introduction, merely that he encouraged Richards to write it. Did he say otherwise elsewhere? Or was this just a suspicion that since Graves was a fine writer, Richards uneducated OR man, Graves must have done so?

Have a dip in Abebooks or Biblio... whatever and see what they sayabout authorship of OSND! My own first edition has the mss note by book dealer "re-written by Robt. Graves" as if that made it more valuable. Paid £3 for it in Leeds 20 years ago. Life's a bitch!