Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returning British POW's

Roger Thompson

The wifes grandad was a POW in about 1917/1918 in the area of Neurath(we have a postcard photo from there), which we believe is near Dusseldorf.

On release from the POW camp would anybody know of the possible route home to the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Cheers Roger.

Roger,

The demobbed occupation troops were sent home from Germany along the Rhine by boat, through neutral Holland.

It is possible the POWs took the same route, but that is a guess, not necessarily fact, so be ware!

Ian

Roger,

Many of the Wiltshire POW's came the route Ian Suggests and landed at Hull

Grant

Hi there Ian & Grant,

Thank you for your answers, I did think that possibly Hull would be the point of re-entry as he was in 2 Northern Regiments and also lived in the Old West Riding of Yorkshire.

Once again thanks lads.

Down to the Library and see if I can find any reference in the local papers.

Cheers Roger.

I've seen previous threads on this somewhere and know that some returning POW landed at Leith (the port for Edinburgh) and sent by train down to Yorkshire.

Cheers

Jim

My Grandfather was a POW and released at the end of the war.

On one of his documents that I got off Ancestry recently it mentioned Ireland. I could not work out how he had served in Ireland until one of my Uncles said that he had heard that my Grandfather on release from the POW camp at the end of the war was given the option to wait and return normally, or a faster route home would be to go to Ireland (presumably because Ireland was neutral?) first and then travel home to Lancashire that way. He chose to come home via Ireland.

He was in the East Lancs Regiment, don't know where the POW camp was as I cannot decipher the writing on the documents I have.

Sue

Sue,

Ireland was part of the UK until 1922......

Maybe it was because the next transport was going to Ireland and there was a wait until the next England sailing?

Ian