Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform & Badge

MotherMave

Can anyone please identify the badge and Uniform off a photograph of a WW1 soldier. :unsure:

If they can, I will send it to them via e-mail privately.

Thanks in anticipation

Mave - why not post the pic direct to forum? Do you need help in doing so? It will definitely be identified much quicker ...

Des

As requested by Mothermave - picture entitled 'Montague'. Mothermave can provide further details. Cap badge, cords experts please help.

Des

post-1582-1232097167.jpg

Looks like Royal Engineers to me. Nothing particularly special about the lanyard.

Simon

Hopefully Mave will be able to add further details. Thanks for your prompt assistance to her folks.

Des

Thanks for all your help, the soldier was Montague James Frederick Bettany, he didn't die in the war, but his Daughter would love to know more about his service.

Hello there,

I think I can see a stripe on the right arm, (although I have been staring at this for some time and may be seeing things).

All the best.

The National Archives show a Medal Index Card for a Sapper 'Morty' Bettany with numbers T2039 and 486594. Someone with A...y links may be able to get more.

I forgot to add he was born in Burslem, Staffordshire, but grew up in Bangor, North Wales and Married in Connah's Quay, Flintshire. I found a Medal Card for a Morty BETTANY saying he was in the Royal Engineers as a Sapper with 2 Reg. No's on, T2039 Sapper and 486594 Sapper, but I don't know if this is him. Thanks for any help you can give.

Hello there,

I think I can see a stripe on the right arm, (although I have been staring at this for some time and may be seeing things).

All the best.

I can see one too.

Here's some more info (courtesy of Ancestry - Pension Records). I don't know if it's your man, but the birthplace matches:

Frederick Bettany of Burslem, Staffs

Enlisted in the Northumberland Fusiliers 14/10/1898 aged 19yrs 3mnths in Newcastle.

Trade: Potter

Service No. 5610

Served with 2nd Garrison Battalion North'd Fus

Appointed Unpaid L/Cpl 14/8/1899 - Paid L/Cpl 4/11/1899

Posted to 4th Btn 3/6/1902

Appointed L/Sgt 1/9/1902

Promoted Sgt 17/12/1902

Served in S. Africa (Boer War) 4/11/1899 - 2/6/1902

Discharged ?

Re-engaged ?

Appointed Acting Cpl 29/4/1918

Appointed Acting Sgt 1/5/1918

Discharged 16/11/1919 - Address = Patrick Street, Dublin

Married Charlotte Cassidy in Dublin 7/7/1900

Simon

So sorry everyone, I forgot to add who he married and when, he married Gertrude Mary WARDLE in 1919 at Connah's Quay, Flintshire, North Wales, that may have helped. I must admit I cannot see any stripe, just wish I could. Thanks to all who have replied though, as any little clue helps.