Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8603 CSM Ben Collard MC Welsh Regt

Guest Bob Juno

Guest Bob Juno

Looking for any information on my ancestor. Particularly interested in what battalion he was with, and also any information regarding the MC award. I've found the MC listed in the London Gazette, but couldn't find a citation. I believe he joined up well before the war. He was from Pontypridd, South Wales. I haven't visited the PRO so don't have any medal information etc. Any help would be gratefully received.

The award of the MC was a "King's Birthday Honours" award and as such there wouldn't be a citation. However, you may find some furter details in the unit war diary at the PRO. To do that you would need to find out what Battalion he was in, which should be shown on the MC card. The MC cards are organised alphabetically on microfilm at the PRO under reference WO 389 9-24.

You may also be able to find his service records although only about 40% of these survived the blitz - good luck.

Or if you cant get to the PRO, I was lucky to find that the Beds County Office Archive kept many of the Beds regimental diaries on line. If you know the unit and they keep the same types of records, you may find details easier? Worth a go...

Steve