Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Men who Served Onboard Hospital Ships

yellow

I was wondering is it possible to research the men of the RAMC who served onboard Hospital ships?

As these are obviously army men, they do have MIC's however if a mans service papers were destroyed how does one establish what ships a man served on?

Does anyone know if the ships served are listed in the medal rolls?

Kind regards,

Steve.

Steve

With the War Diary of HMHS Anglia which was sunk on 17 November 1915 there is a nominal roll of the RAMC officers and men who were serving on her. I do not know if such rolls existst with other War Diaries.

Of the MIC's for these men that I have checked so far none of them have named the ship they were serving on but a number have 'HS' as the Theatre of War.

Aled

Thank you for the reply Aled. Thats correct MIC's are marked HS.

Have you been successful in locating any of the men on the Anglia roll in the Burnt Document Series?

Steve

There are 29 NCO's and OR's listed on the nominal roll but unfortunately I have been unable to find papers in either WO 363 or WO 364 for any of them. I'm just hoping that when the rest of WO 363 eventually become available online my abysmal 'non' success rate will improve. None of the MIC's mention the Anglia and not all have the note 'HS'.

Aled

• 2 years later...

Hope this helps it is the list of RAMC men lost in the sinking of the Anglia,

BILLOT, Private, STANLEY, 8880, Royal Army Medical Corps. Age 36.

DALTREY, Corporal, HARRY, 4998, Royal Army Medical Corps.

DORAN, Private, EDWARD CLEMENT, 57953, Royal Army Medical Corps.

HARDY, Private, FRANK ALBERT, 7647, Royal Army Medical Corps. Age 19.

HEATON, Private, THOMAS, 11218, 12th Casualty Clearing Station, Royal Army Medical Corps. Age 21.

HODGKINS, Private, ERNEST VICTOR GARDNER, 18703, Royal Army Medical Corps. Age 31.

MORTIMER, Private, EDWARD GEORGE VICTOR, 4996, Royal Army Medical Corps.

RUMBLE, Private, HUBERT WILLIAM, 6395, Royal Army Medical Corps.

WORSTER, Private, WALTER ERNEST, 1738, Royal Army Medical Corps. Age 26.

Dabtoe

Thank you Dabtoe, the names correspond with the ones in my list. Good to have them confirmed by somebody else.

Aled

Does anyone know if the ships served are listed in the medal rolls?

I looked up the medal roll in connection with the Harry Lund thread when we discovered that he was an RAMC man who was killed as a result of HMHS Glenart Castle being torpedoed and found it disappointingly blank - not even a note that he'd died.

Our very own BJay has been building the excellent RAMC database which contains pages dedicated to those who served on the hospital ships.

Steve

I have some photos of RAMC Hospital Ship Nervosa (?) personnel ... some individuals, some groups, one in the dispensary ... drop me a PM if you are interested.

Same offer applies to anyone else who is interested.

Nigel

Nigel

Could you mean HMHS Neuralia rather than Nervosa?

just a suggestion

sJ

sJ

I think it's likely to be the Nevasa (a sister ship to the Neuralia) although if it was the Neuralia (circa 10th April to 4th May 1915) I could get very excited :whistle:

Regards

Steve