Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James William Rumble

Guest Rooney9

Hi,

My first post so bear with me!

Re James W Rumble. I had no documents on him until I found his medal card on Ancestry. From a photo I have of him, I matched his cap badge with that of the London Irish Rifles (18th County of London Regiment). Although at first I could not find any records, I noticed that the entry in to ancestry had been incorrectly entered as the 12th COL Regiment. As you can see from the entry they must have read the 8 as a 2. Like many who fought during the Great War, he would not speak to my family about his experiences, but I would really like to find out more if possible. Now I have his medal card, I have been informed that his period of service must have been from the start of 1916 at the earliest as he did not recieve a 1915 star. Is there anything else I can find out from this record or any other information for him.

post-40655-1231498547.jpg

many thanks

ThreeLions

Three Lions

You might be lucky to find his service record later. Ancestry haven't yet reached R (I think) but they can't be far away from digitising it,if it is there. Over 70% were lost in 1940 bombing.

You can read about his war from the 1/18th Battalion War Diary,which is at the National Archives,Kew, under WO95/2737,and runs from Mar 1915 to Feb 1919. There might also be a book around,either specifically for the Battalion or the Regiment as a whole in WW1. You could check around,say Amazon for instance.

Welcome to the Forum.

Sotonmate

PS THe second number on the MIC (593692) is from the TA re-numbering exercise of 1917. That too is for the 18th Battalion.

His period of service may well have started prior to 1916 but he did not go overseas before then.

His period of service may well have started prior to 1916 but he did not go overseas before then.

Many Thanks Stephen and Soton Mate.

Of course Stephen you are right, I should have said active service overseas. I have pension documents for my Great Grandfathers brother who was William Rumble, so my guess would be that Jame's pension records were not saved(but heres hoping). Some really useful info, so many thanks again.