The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

US Army Medic Arm Band

gunbarrel

Hello, everyone. I was wondering if anybody here have specific details on U.S. medic brassards? I know they are white with red crosses :) but I want to make sure that I get a real WWI piece to go with my U.S. 39th Louisiana Division medic tunic (photos below). I already have the medic belt, etc. A close-up photo would be outstanding.

Thanks in advance!

post-9518-1231470084.jpg

post-9518-1231470095.jpg

post-9518-1231470144.jpg

Not a great pic but they look pretty simple.

Here is a medical unit (part of the 33rd Division) at Cousenvoye on Oct. 14th 1918.

Handy that the brassard will also cover the discharge chevron!

Hope this helps

Chris

post-14525-1231475221.jpg

and a bit of detail:

post-14525-1231475207.jpg

Probably in compliance with Article 20 of the Geneva Convention of 6 July 1906.

...shall wear, fixed to the left arm, an armlet (brassard) with a red cross on a white background, delivered and stamped by the competent military authority...

Were those medic bags actually made for that purpose or were they created for something else but used for medical gear?

Thanks for the pictures, gentlemen. Chris, that's one of the things what I'd like to see up close...the stamped inscription. I've seen some with just a number, some with a number preceded by the letter "M" and some with inscriptions to the effect, but they were identified as "WWII." Below is a pic of a WWI arm band.

post-9518-1231499267.jpg

Were those medic bags actually made for that purpose or were they created for something else but used for medical gear?

Matt,

If you are referring to the bags most are carrying in the 33rd Div pic I posted (and also appear in the close up above) these are respirator (gas mask) bags. Whilst I do not doubt they were used for carrying all manner of things, in these instances I believe they are in fact carrying gas masks (the US version of the SBR). In the picture I posted they are worn slung, in the most recent picture "at the alert" on the chest.

Chris

Aha! I'd never seen them worn that way, which is what threw me off.