Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hammerton House Red Cross Hospital

dfaulder

scn409.jpg

Anyone know where this was?

I think the chap in the background (in cap) was my Grandfather, then 2nd Lt H Faulder 3rd Y&L (June 1916 he went to France and joined the 14th Y&L). I don't have any details as to what the "operation" was - if he could spend sick leave in Huddersfield (home town) and then the Blackpool Imperial Hotel (where I think he and his wife of one year went to get away from their parents!), it would not have been totally minor, but on the other hand I don't think it could have been something like an appendectomy.

David

David

The 3rd Durham VAD Hospital was located at Hammerton House, 4 Gray Road , Sunderland.

Dave

David

The 3rd Durham VAD Hospital was located at Hammerton House, 4 Gray Road , Sunderland.

Dave

Dave

Thanks, that would tie in with the 3rd Y&L being based (certainly in 1915) at Hylton Castle, but how different were VAD and Red Cross (which I thought was a separate organisation formed jointly by the British Red Cross and St John's) - or might my grandmother (who I think annotated the page) have been confused?

(Thanks also Jon, I will check out Burnley)

David

David

Try Google but look for Hammerton Hall Sunderland. I used to work for a company called Gentoo and they converted this building in to flats a few years ago. There is a picture on their site. That area was quite posh when the properties were built they all are very large and individual.

Regards

David

Thanks all - from the combined knowledge of this forum it's looking more and more likely that it is in Sunderland!

David

• 7 months later...
Guest robshepherd

Re: Hammerton House VAD Hospital, Sunderland

Hello all

New to this forum and noted the very interesting photograph of Hammerton House in Sunderland.

I wonder if it might be possible for someone to send me a scan of this photograph?

Many thanks

ROb

Hi David

Thanks very much for that - did anyone figure out what "REO X Hospital" meant?

>><<

Rob

I think it's my Grandmother's writing, try: RED X Hospital!

Thanks for the link.

David