Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

220th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

Chad

Please could anybody help with the whereabouts of this Battery from the beginning of January 1917 until 6th February 1917, the date when Gunner Herbert Sutcliffe was killed by a shell. He had only been in France five weeks.

Thanks

Chad

• 4 years later...

Hi I am new to this forum and have just started looking for information on the 220th Siege Battery as my g/f was a sgt in 220th. All I have to go on so far is his old autograph/photo album which appears to place them in Arras in 1918. I also see that at least some of them visited Baisy Thy in Belguim but the photos look like they were on leave at the time.

I am sorry that Sutcliffe does not appear in the album.

Anyone else know anything more about the 220th?

Hi,

If it is of help 220, Seige Battery were in 56 Heavy Artillery Brigade at the Armistice part of Third Army. Between August and November this probably put them in the Cambrai towards Maubeuge area. Unit Diary at Kew would help you both, and you can scan their catalogue to see if the diaries still exist. To view you have to visit Kew.

Chad

220 Siege were in Jan/Feb'17 allocated to 72nd Heavy Artillery Group, V Corps, 5th Army.

The Heavy Artillery Commanders diary for this period is missing as is the battery diary. The only one that may shed some light on things is the 72nd HAG diary, which is held at Kew under the following ref:-

WO 95/323 72 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 Nov. - 1919 Feb.

Stuart