Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Guards

egwilson

Is anybody researching the Irish Guards. My great uncle Patrick Mc Colgan was L/Cpl in the 1st Bn between Sep 1914 and March 1920. I have read Kiplings book but would like to find out a bit more about what happened to the soldiers who were wounded at the Somme in Sep 1915.

Hello?

Welcome to the forum.

Here's a copy of his Medal Index Card. His pension record is also on Ancestry as well.

Regards, Tommy.

post-29775-1231437959.jpg

From his Pension Record - short record I'm afraid only 4 pages

Parish - Glendermott

Town - Londonderry

Age 26 years, 180 days

Trade or Calling- could be either Butler or more likely given the location - Beetler

Attested - Private 09/09/14

Joined - 11/09/14 - record shows Irish Guards with 2 below - would this be 2nd Battalion.

Appointed L/Cpl - 19/06/1918

Home 09/09/14 to 02/02/15 - 147 days

BEF 03/02/15 to 15/09/16 - 1 year, 225 days

Home 16/09/16 to 03/01/18 - 1 year, 110 days

BEF 04/01/18 to 01/03/19 - 1 year, 57 days

Home 02/03/19 to 16/04/19 - 46 days

Total Service - 4 years, 220 days

Family Details:

Father - James

Mother - Margory

Brothers - John, William, David (or could be Daniel) and Lawrence

Address - Ardmore, by Drumahoe, Co Derry.

Hope this is helpful, regards, Tommy.

I've done a fair amount of digging and went along to Kew to look at the war diaries of both battalions but Kipling used them, often word for word, and there is nothing new. I have yet to read Harold Alexander's memoirs so there may be something there. Liam O'Flaherty wrote a dark novel based on his experiences with the Irish Guards called 'Return of the Brute'. Wish there was more.

Thank you very much Tommy for this information. I had found these records and that is what got me started. I have become fascinated by what Patrick went through. His records suggests that he was wounded on the 15th September but I am not sure what happened to him between the 16th Sep 1916 and 3rd Jan 1918. Maybe I could try the Guards museum in London?

Elaine, Cambridge

Elaine,

Have you applied for his records from the regiment at Wellington Barracks? They often hold a surprising amount of information. I think you will find that they are provided free of charge but they say a donation would be appreciated.

Ian

Have you applied for his records from the regiment at Wellington Barracks? They often hold a surprising amount of information. I think you will find that they are provided free of charge but they say a donation would be appreciated.

Not free any more

Just had to pay £30 for their service.

contact details:

Mr D P Cleary MBE

RHQ Irish Guards

Wellington Barracks

Birdcage Walk

London

SW1 6HQ

Tel: 020 7414 3026

Fax: 020 7414 3446

Mailto: igarchives@btconnect.com

Hope this helps

Andy

I got my Irish Guards records many years ago so I'm out of touch with that but, when investigating a great uncle in the Grenadier Guards about three years ago, the donation suggestion stood. I wonder if the different regiments have different rules.