The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFA units

Northern Soul

I'm trying to decipher some Service Papers for a man who served in the RFA and am having a struggle reading and understanding some of the annotations. Having searched the usual Internet sources I'd be grateful for any pointers.

what was the 20th Reserve Battery/Brigade, and where was it based in 9/14 (I assume the UK as the man was at home recovering from wounds) ?

What was the 6C Reserve Brigade and where was it based in 3/15 ?

Why does 104 Brigade have a "A/" in front of it? Was this to denote the Battery he was in in?

Can anyone make out the fainter entries at the bottom? I am assuming that he was in 104 Brigade - which left 23rd Div on 18.1.17 to become an Army brigade - and transferred to 102 Brigade i.e. he remained in 23rd Div. However there are more letter suffixes being used that I can't quite make out and overall I'm a bit confused.

Best wishes.

Andy.

post-754-1231416325.jpg

Hi Andy,

A/104 Bde would be 'A' Battery of the 104th Brigade RFA. I can also make out a posting to 'C' Battery 104th Brigade (C/104 Bde).

cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, that makes sense. :) I have now found out that Batteries in these artillery brigades were numbered from A to D.

Does anyone know the answres to the questions I posed re the 20th Reserve Bty. and 6C Reserve Brigades?

Andy.

I shall also be interested in this. All details of reserve RFA units are on the Long, Long Trail. Click on artillery then home based units. The information I have found only goes up to 5C Brigade, though, so info on 6C would be valuable.

................ All details of reserve RFA units are on the Long, Long Trail. The information I have found only goes up to 5C Brigade, though, so info on 6C would be valuable.

I know, I looked there first. It's maddening !! :lol: I note that your list is valid for November, 1918 - perhaps 6C (and presumably 6A and 6B) had been disbanded by then? There do seem to be quite a few Battery numbers missing in the composition of the Reserve Brigades so perhaps quite a few had disappeared by the time of the Armistice?

Andy.

An update:

In July, 1915, 6C Reserve Brigade would appear to have been based (or had its admin depot there) at Redford Barracks, Edinburgh and one of the component Batterys may have been 52nd (Reserve) Battery.

Andy.