Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Todger" Jones, VC

Stephen Nulty

Stephen,

It is a great thread indeed!

The story in Post #1 is "Boys Own" stuff, it really is!

BillyH.

Hi all,

I thought I'd add these photos of one of Todger Jones' medals that is still with the family. Obviously it's an unnofficial medal. It was given to him as a gift on his return to Runcorn.

This medal is with one family member and another relative has his Territorial and a Coronation medal. (The rest are in the regimental museum)

Neil

Neil - thanks for posting an image of the medallion which according to the account on page 37 of the booklet I Laughed Like Blazes - in 1920 'some forty war veterans were entertained to tea by Sir John Brunner, after which Sir Frederick Norman presented each of them with a gold medallion. Six presentations were also made posthumously to the families of those Liberal Club members who had made the supreme sacrifice.' No actual date is given of this event in Dave Thompson's booklet. No doubt the local newspaper archive would be able to throw light on who else received these medallions; which could well have been worn by some on their watch chain, attached to their waist'coat for Sunday best.

• 7 months later...

This site http://www.cc-publis...ves/todger.html

Says the following.

Todger was hailed by Runner Kenworthy, a young friend of his who had recently come up to the position. 'It's a great day today, Todger,' he said. 'It's my eighteenth birthday.' These were the last words uttered by Runner Kenworthy for in that instance he was struck by a German bullet and fell dead.

Todger was horrified and filled with hatred for the enemy he walked steadily out into No Man's Land. No-one saw him go and no-one gave him permission.

Not sure if it is true.

But this is on CWGC http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=797988

Ant

I'm away from my notes at the moment but the info on theat site is incorrect. Kenworthy was kileld tha tday but he was not 18 years old. He enlisted at 18 but that was before the outbreak of WW1.

I assume someone has applied poetic license.

I have the medals and plaque to a close friend of Todger Jone's who was wounded on the day he got his VC (as stated in a local newspaper of the day). Who knows...Maybe he was the reason Todger 'went over'!

When I am home and get the chance I will post the medals and article.

Neil

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

The statue of Todger Jones VC, DCM was unveiled yesterday here in Runcorn.

Here's a few of the pics that we've had sent from our official photographer. When we receive the full set of photographs I'll stick them on a new thread.

It was a fantastic day and an amazing turn out.

post-42493-0-76654900-1407175878_thumb.j

Thanks for the update, looking forward to the other pictures.

I still think this one one of the best threads I've started :)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

It was suggested way back on this fantastic thread that I write a book on Todger Jones VC, DCM.

Well, it took a number of years, but that book has just been released. There is an abundance of new material in it and many 'never seen before' photographs and illustrations. 

It's available from all the usual places; Amazon, Waterstones and various other book shops, eBay, and direct from the publisher - Fonthill Media. 

Hopefully it will be of interest to one or two members.

Cheers,

Neil 

20210216_090845.jpg

Thanks for the tip off Neil. I have just ordered it and I am sure it will do really well.

BillyH.

Cheers Neil, I'll add that to my forthcoming birthday list :-)

From a post of yours in 2009 - "I wouldn't know where to start with the book but it's a great idea."

Edited by Stephen Nulty

It will interesting to read as I remember 

that on antiques roadshow that his grandson turned up with a couple of shell cases.  

on ancestry a family tree shows that he had a son but never married 

I will get a copy when Waterstones reopens, I’ve got a Waterstones gift card, but I would like a browse around the store when it’s allowed.

9 hours ago, BillyH said:

Thanks for the tip off Neil. I have just ordered it and I am sure it will do really well.

BillyH.

Thank you Billy.

I do hope so! 

Neil 

8 hours ago, Stephen Nulty said:

Cheers Neil, I'll add that to my forthcoming birthday list :-)

From a post of yours in 2009 - "I wouldn't know where to start with the book but it's a great idea."

Cheers Stephen,

It's hard to believe that was 12 years ago! 

Neil 

7 hours ago, Chesterboy said:

It will interesting to read as I remember 

that on antiques roadshow that his grandson turned up with a couple of shell cases.  

on ancestry a family tree shows that he had a son but never married 

Thanks Chesterboy,

Todger's great nephew and great grandson both appeared on the Antiques Roadshow, as did a lady who had acquired the shell cases. Percy Dunbavand (gt. nephew) and Paul Smitham (gt. grandson) both contributed to the book. The story of Todger's son (Paul's grandad) is described in detail in the book. It's quite a story. The topic had been brushed under the carpet by Todger's legitimate family for many years, but all now seem willing to discuss it openly and accept its inclusion in the book. 

6 hours ago, derekb said:

I will get a copy when Waterstones reopens, I’ve got a Waterstones gift card, but I would like a browse around the store when it’s allowed.

Thanks Derek, 

I see you are just over the water from me.

Neil 

1 hour ago, nthornton1979 said:

Thanks Chesterboy,

Todger's great nephew and great grandson both appeared on the Antiques Roadshow, as did a lady who had acquired the shell cases. Percy Dunbavand (gt. nephew) and Paul Smitham (gt. grandson) both contributed to the book. The story of Todger's son (Paul's grandad) is described in detail in the book. It's quite a story. The topic had been brushed under the carpet by Todger's legitimate family for many years, but all now seem willing to discuss it openly and accept its inclusion in the book. 

Thanks Derek, 

I see you are just over the water from me.

Neil 

Yes, it’s a pity there’s not more available regarding Runcorn and Widnes, book wise and item wise, although I have a some nice items with a Widnes/Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers connection.

Derek.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16/02/2021 at 19:40, nthornton1979 said:

Hopefully it will be of interest to one or two members

Many thanks.

Here is his grave by the way in Runcorn Cemetery.

1522041293_TodgerJonesGrave1.jpg.c1d8a86f5b7e901f046fbc4bfba82b41.jpg

1095989155_TodgerJonesGrave4.jpg.6df040dd0b3bdebb2d70cbbf3a2bf93d.jpg