Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion Cheshire Regiment

brett361975

Would anyone have any information regarding the 9th Battalion Cheshire Regiment on or around the 31st May 1918.

Any Locations and actions covering the battalion around this time would be most helpful.

Also would anyone have a copy of the Battalion diary covering this period?.

Thank you for any help

Kind regards

Brett

The actions of the 19th. Division around that time were rather extensive, I would suggest you get hold of a copy of the "19th Division History" by Wyrall , the 9th. Cheshires were heavily involved as John mentions above . The division was again fighting with the French 28th. Div. as at Kemmel in April, also the French 40th. Div.

I understand there is a diary of the 9th. Cheshires held at kew but don't have the detals.

Cheers.

Colin.

Thank you John thats just what I needed.

Can I ask if you have come accross the name of private Albert Nicholas 50147, 9th Battalion killed 31.5.1918 in your studies?

Regards

Brett

Thanks for the information Colin.

Regards

Brett

Brett

No, not come across him, I'm afraid.

He's listed in the Roll of Honour in the Crookenden Regimental History and the only thing I can add is a good guess that his service number suggests an enlistment towards the end of 1916.

I take it he's the guy on the war memorial at Chester Town Hall?

John

One and the same, hoping to get a picture this week.

Thanks for looking John

Regards

Brett

• 3 years later...

Hi Brett mate i have started using this forum more now. My g/uncle frank stockton pte 10775 was in the 9th battalion. im looking for war diarys to find out what he was doing before he was killed.

regards

Anks

Brett

War Diary ref is WO95/2079 (Feb 1918 to Feb 1919).

Sotonmate

• 1 year later...

I have a copy of the War Diary for the period 1st to 9th June 1918 around the time the 9th Cheshire were engaged at the Mont de Bligny, if interested. Also one or two photographs I think are of the 9th around the same date. My grandfather (Lieut J Clark) served with the battalion between April '18 and the end of the war. One of the photographs is signed by William H Lees also a Lieutenant with the Cheshires at that time.

Richard

• 1 year later...

hello,

my wife's grandfather Arthur Richardson fought with the Cheshires and received the MM , we think for bravery at Bligny.

the timing of his gazette entry and the attached photograph (the chalk board at the front reads 'The Bligny Boys' and has a Butterfly icon at each end)

The background to this photo matches the photo of Cheshire officers in the Official Cheshire history book.

Arthur was a Lewis Gunner and survived the war (he died in the 80s)

we visited Bligny earlier this year and stood at the top of the Mont ... Very very atmospheric

Cheers

mark

Sorry, photo didn't upload ... It reads '7 platoon' 'The Bligny Boys'

Arthur is bottom left ..with his Lewis Gun (he has a medal flash on his uniform, so we ASSUME that he got it for Bligny - the dates fit)

post-108665-0-26855300-1448044816_thumb.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, phil.cheshires said:

hello i'm looking for a photo of "randolph hashim" earned gv mc with 9th ches r. can anyone help please?

No pictures in the regimental history or magazine during the Great War. 

But it I did find the following 

Captain Randolph Hashim, MC, DCM was an English officer of the British Army who served during the First World War. 

He was born in 1885, in Chorlton, the son of Syrian-born cotton merchant Khalil and Mary Henrietta Hashim (née Chandley), of Stockton Heath. Hashim was a pre-war territorial who resigned his commission in the 7th Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment on 21 January 1914.[1]

After the outbreak of war, Hashim enlisted as an other rank, in the 1/6th Manchester Regiment, and served with the battalion in the Gallipoli Campaign. His time in Gallipoli saw him awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and receive a mention in despatches. On 8 September 1915, Hashim was commissioned as a second lieutenant, and rejoined the Cheshire Regiment.[2]He went to the Western Front, where he was awarded the Military Cross. His citation reads: 

During operations near Jenlain on 3rd and 4th November, 1918, during an enemy withdrawal, he led his company in pursuit with great skill and made ground and captured prisoners, pressing forward in advance of the Division on his life. Afterwards, under intense shell fire, he reorganized his company and led them in another attack with complete success.[3]

Like his father, Hashim was in the cotton trade, and was impacted by the industry's post-war slump. He married in 1921, to Molly Rust. Their son, John Randolph, served in the Royal Navy during the Second World War. Hashim died in 1942, of tuberculosis. His wife died two years later.[4]

there is a Manchester Regiment Forum, which you could ask to see if anybody has picture

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm looking for any information regarding my great uncle, corporal Richard Moores 17582, killed at Ypres on April 12th 1918.

A photograph would be excellent! But any info would be much appreciated.

• 4 months later...

In February 1918, the 9th Cheshire’s moved to the 56th Brigade which was still in the 19th Division the other two battalions in the brigade were the 1/4th Battalion, The King's Shropshire Light Infantry and the 8th (Service) Battalion, The North Staffordshire Regiment. The 56th Brigade as the unique honour of having had the Croix de Guerre conferred upon it by the French for its tenacity in the defence and recapture of the Montagne de Bligny on the 6th June, 1918. The 12th Battalion the Cheshire Regiment also had the Croix de Guerre conferred on them. The Cheshire Regiment being the only regiment to have two Croix de Guerre awarded.

Edited by Mercian

• 2 years later...

This is my Grandfather, Pte Michael McHugh, of the 9th BN Cheshire Regiment.  He lost a leg at La Boiselle on the Somme

in July 1916.  He died in 1942.  Michael lived in Northwich, Cheshire and worked at Brunner Monds/ICI.

He is stood behind Commanding Officer who died after the war when a handgrenade exploded on his

mantlepiece

IMG_0527 (8).JPG