Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Privates Stafford and Lake, Seaforth Highlanders

Simonwpb

I have a postcard written March 1916 to 10556 Pte. John Stafford of 3rd Bn Seaforth Highlanders while he was at Cromarty, Scotland.

Pte Staffod was posted to 2nd Batt, Seaforth Highlanders, B.Coy No.8 Platoon, 14 section, B.E.F., where he was killed in action near Albert on the Somme 17 Oct 1916.

I don't know how my ancestors came to possess the postcard.

It could have come from my relative 10707 Pte. Walter Lake who was also in the Seaforth Highlanders and survived the war.

Any help determining the dates of service or Bn. for Private Lake? The MIC was not very illuminating, and I cannot find the Service or Pension records. Do the medal rolls say anything?

The postcard obviously had sentimental value to have been kept, but I cannot make a genealogical connection.

Simon

Pte_Stafford_card.pdf

Simon

The original medal Rolls will almost certainly have the Battalion shown. If you have the MIC you will see the references that need a look up at Kew to get this info.

Sotonmate

Simon

The original medal Rolls will almost certainly have the Battalion shown. If you have the MIC you will see the references that need a look up at Kew to get this info.

Sotonmate

All the MIC says is LC/101 B133 page 13522 for Victory and British. No other dates or notes, other than he was later Labour Corps 381764.

The only access to the medal roll is through a researcher visiting Kew?

Simon