Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Victor Hawkins Norfolk Regiment

Diane Alden

Hello everyone,

I hope I have put this in the right topic

I am trying to establish if a medal card belonging to one Edward Victor Hawkins Norfolk Regiment is my grandfathers brother.

On his medal card it states two numbers Pte 4402

Pte 200897

He received the 15 star, Victor and British Medals. His date of entry was 6.8.1915 and theatre of war first served in is stated as (2B) Balkan and he was disembobied on 24.9.1919

That is all I know and can find no service record or pension record.

Now, on the statement of the names and addresses of all relations of deceased soldiers on my grandfather's service record apart from his wife and parents it has his brothers and sisters.

For his brothers it has Victor and Horace. The addresses for them is Egypt for Victor and 27 Silver Street Norwich for Horace BUT with one large bracket after the brothers names and before both addresses seeming to allude that Victor lived at home as well, which sounds quite reasonable. The statement was dated 7th July 1919

Victor's real name was Edward Victor Hawkins but was known as Victor. Do you think there is any possible way that I could find out if they are one of the same? I guess men had to enlist using their correct name? I know it is probably a coincidence of names but I would like to find out if I can. I haven't any family left of an age that could tell me but I have also not heard of Victor every enlisting. I haven't any idea as to why Victor would have been in Egypt in 1919 so could anybody tell me if the Norfolk Regiment was there in 1919 and also what do Edward Victor's two numbers refer to.

Is it just a coincidence that Victor was in Egypt in July 1919 and Edward Victor was disembodied in September 1919?

I know that my great grandfather was in the Norfolk Regiment all his life ( served in the Boer War) with service Records on Ancestry and that he also enlisted in Norwich in 1914 into the Territorial Reserve 458 Coy Royal Defence Corps until hid disembodiment in March 1919. So Norfolk Regiment is in the Family. My grandfather was originally in Norfolk Regiment but then in the 6th Batt Border regiment when he was KIA in September 1916.

I know this is a bit longwinded but I wondered if anybody can help?

Diane

Diane

The service number 200897 was a 1917 renumbering to the 4th Battalion Norfolk Regiment.

In July 1915 the 1/4th Battalion went to Gallipoli (163 Brigade/54 Division),then withdrew in Dec 1915 and went to serve in Egypt and Palestine.

There are two War Diaries at Kew Archives. The Gallipoli one is under WO95/4325 and runs from Jul to Dec 1915. The Egypt,Palestine and Syria one is WO95/4657 and runs from Jan 1916 to OCT 1919.

Sotonmate

Diane

The service number 200897 was a 1917 renumbering to the 4th Battalion Norfolk Regiment.

In July 1915 the 1/4th Battalion went to Gallipoli (163 Brigade/54 Division),then withdrew in Dec 1915 and went to serve in Egypt and Palestine.

There are two War Diaries at Kew Archives. The Gallipoli one is under WO95/4325 and runs from Jul to Dec 1915. The Egypt,Palestine and Syria one is WO95/4657 and runs from Jan 1916 to OCT 1919.

Sotonmate

Thank you very much for this Sotonmate. I will try and have a look sometime and see if I can find anymore info. I am trying hard not to summise that they are the same person.

Diane