Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liberty aero engine and Remy ignition system handbooks

manchester terrier

Thanks for posting that Baz.

Interesting to have a look at the design and internals of the Liberty Aero Engine. There were apparently a lot of surplus engines available after the war and one of these was fitted into Parry Thomas's record breaking car "Babs".

A few more aero-engined cars have been built with them in recent years on substantial chassis, so I guess they must be still available. I recall seeing one of these engines in a motoring bookshop in Christchurch, New Zealand a few years ago. They are an impressive looking power unit.

Regards,

Scott

Great detail, took a whole 20 secs to download (20 Mbyte b/band).

Note though the advance in aero engine improvement in a few short years. An early text book of mine quote the RR Merlin II from

an almost identical swept volume of approx 27000 ccs producing 885 bhp at 3000 rpm, more than double.

David/Canberra

You are right David.

Don't forget though that the Merlin II, along with better materials, fuel quality and technology in production also had that large supercharger fitted. A fairer comparison might be with an unsupercharged Merlin.

I noticed the Great War in the Air exhibition has opened at the AWM. There must be benefits to living in Canberra.

Regards,

Scott.

Cheers chaps!

Scott, I've got a couple of books I can recommend on vintage racing cars.

Aero-engined Racing Cars at Brooklands by Bill Boddy. 1992. ISBN 0 85429 867 3

The Enthusiast's Guide to Vintage Specials by John Bateman. 1994. ISBN 0 85429 794 4

Both well worth getting hold of, not sure of current availability as I picked them up about 12 years ago.

cheers

baz

Baz,

I know both those books. Some hairy looking specials in both those books.

David,

Would like to get down to Canberra in March for atleast one day. I've got a two year old boy and a ten week old girl keeping me pretty busy at the moment, but am working on it.

Regards,

Scott