Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt William J Brown Machine Gun Corps

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

OK you emmagee boys & girls, I have just purchased the photo album of Sgt William J Brown of the MGC. His number was 55068, which is also confirmed by a card sent to him by his wife on his birthday on 24 March 1918. He was at the time an Instructor at Clipstone.

Does anyone have any information on his service with the BEF?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Full of Envy , as usual. I see that from the on-line mics he was previously Private 1235 in the Cambridgeshire Regiment. I can't tell you anything about him just wanted you to know how jealous I am.

Steve B)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steve,

Are you ;)

No it was a lucky but nice little purchase. I thought he would have been MGC Cav with a 55*** number but having previously served with an Infantry Unit, I am not so sure. Interestingly he actually lived in Cambridge

Ian

Hi Ian

The MGC Cav number range in that area is 50699 - 52960 and then 56771 - 56870 with just a very few odds and sods in between.

Steve

Gents;

An extract from my working 'medal tracker' of the 55*** men noted:

SHEEN F 55426 PTE MM GWM AUG 98 £95.00 196 COY

HARDY G 55514 PTE BWM VIC ISM GVIR EBAY Oct-02 £40.00

TRUSSELL C 55664 PTE BWM VIC SPEEDBID SEP 03 £44.00

BULLEY JP 55685 PTE BWM VIC SPEEDBID Nov-02 £38.00

WHITE HJ 55721 L/CPL MM BWM VIC SPEEDBID APR 03 £165.00 199 COY; SJT ON PAIR

So, the two with an attributed unit are 196 & 199 Coys; don't know if we could extrapolate backwards?

Any happy snaps of Clipstone, Ian? Not that common!

Any chance you might scan and publish some of the Emma Gee photographs on this Forum?

HARDY G 55514 PTE BWM VIC ISM GVIR EBAY Oct-02 £40.00

Phil,

The sale of 55514 Pte George Hardy's Pair & ISM also included a 39/45 Star, France Germany Star & War Medal. Sadly no records survive for his WW1 Service. He had previously served as Pte 388209 with the 8th London Regiment (Post Office Rifles) and served in a Theatre of War from 16/12/1916 to 11/11/1918. The ISM , gazetted 14/05/1946, was for being a Postman from the Kingston-on-Thames area.

Steve (happy owner of afore mentioned medals) :)

Nice one Ian. My long-term interest is the Cambs Rgt. William Joseph Brown lived at 10 Haymarket Rd, Cambridge. He was a pre-war Terrier (No 1235) in B company, Cambs Rgt (A to D coys were the Cambridge coys, E to G were the Isle of Ely coys). My records show he was a machine gunner in 1/1st Cambs in 1915 and was invalided home with rheumatism & later transferred to the MGC.

Any info you can supply would be appreciated - I'll contact you by email.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
HARDY G      55514 PTE BWM VIC ISM GVIR EBAY Oct-02 £40.00

Phil,

The sale of 55514 Pte George Hardy's Pair & ISM also included a 39/45 Star, France Germany Star & War Medal. Sadly no records survive for his WW1 Service. He had previously served as Pte 388209 with the 8th London Regiment (Post Office Rifles) and served in a Theatre of War from 16/12/1916 to 11/11/1918. The ISM , gazetted 14/05/1946, was for being a Postman from the Kingston-on-Thames area.

Steve (happy owner of afore mentioned medals) :)

Steve,

Ever thought of looking up the Absent Voters List for Kingston upon Thames to get a unit for this man in 1918?

Ian

:)

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Any chance you might scan and publish some of the Emma Gee photographs on this Forum?

I have more than 300 photgrpahs of the MGC, where do you want me to start?

Ian

Ian,

are any of your MGC 'photos of people that are identifiable by Coy or Btn

if so, I'd be very interested in 123 Coy / 41 Btn

Julian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Julian,

Yes I have a number that are identified by name (have all been researched for number etc) and unit. I will need to check for 123 Coy/41 Bn.

Ian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Sorry I should of added when I started this thread, this album is NOT FOR SALE!!

So please no more messages or mail messages asking me how much!!

Ian :P

Ever thought of looking up the Absent Voters List for Kingston upon Thames to get a unit for this man in 1918?

Ian

:)

Hi Ian,

I haven't done this for any of my medals yet, once I have exhausted the PRO/NA for service records, medal rolls etc that is my next task.

Steve

Hello Ian

Where to start with the MGC photographs ... well I would look at those that are of important historic value and have not been seen before, then I would consider those of some interest that might benefit from the informed comments of this Forum and finally, "Dealers Choice".

Regards

Dwight Mercer

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Hello Ian

Where to start with the MGC photographs ... well I would look at those that are of important historic value and have not been seen before, then I would consider those of some interest that might benefit from the informed comments of this Forum and finally, "Dealers Choice".

Regards

Dwight Mercer

Well I might be cabbage looking but I ain't green!

I am not posting another photo to end up on someone elses website with copyright marked on it :angry:

As for dealers choice - how do you think I got them in the first place............

• 2 weeks later...
I am not posting another photo to end up on someone elses website with copyright marked on it--Ian

Ian:

As one who posts images on the Forum sometimes. Will you/do you care to, elaborate? I think it would be of interest to those of us who collect photos.

If not, I understand.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Without naming names an image I posted on this forum has ended up on another website with a copyright anotation attached to it.

Ian

Guest DavidTennant

Ian

re copyright. Is this a recent thing as a couple of weeks ago you asked me if it was possible for me to post copies of photos I had to the list? I did and received no comments! I have othersbut held off due to apparent lack of interest!

Dave

QUOTE (Borden Battery @ Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:38:16 +0000)

I have more than 300 photgrpahs of the MGC, where do you want me to start?

Ian

_______

Number 1? :P

Ian,

In amongst your 300 MGC photos, do you have any of the 268th Coy, of the 42nd Btn? My Grandfather was with that unit.

Thanks

David

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Many of the photographs I own are anonymous. Some are named and I have researched them. (One is of a man called Harry Dunn has led onto something, which I hope you will hear of more later).

From my list of named men/units 268 Coy/42 Bn does not feature, but it could be that I do have one amongst a pile that have not been sorted. To put this into perspective I have more than 5,000 photos/postcards/field postcards related to WW1.

Why more than? - I couldn't be bothered to count anymore after 5,000!

Where did I get them from? - I did a Saturday job as a kid in a junk shop, where photographs like this were 10 a penny. In those days you couldn't give these away, so the couple that use to own the shop use to give them to me.

My wife has asked......er.......told me to get rid of them as she is tired of having them clutter up the place. I have been selling them off on eBay, on this Forum, at Fairs, to Collectors. In one year I have managed to sell 416 - so I have a long way to go.

So far I have sorted 1,200. This might sound slow but it all takes time; the photographs have to be identified and catalogued. So with at least 3,800 to go, there is every possibility in the world that one of this unit exists.

Ian :)