The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RMS Walmer Castle

prolaser2

I am trying to obtain any information on the movement of RMS "WALMER CASTLE" which was on service with the Navy during WW1 and may have been an hospital ship. I am researching a soldier in the East Yorkshire regiment who was awarded the usual British War Medal. On his medal index card there is a note stating that he applied for the Victory medal but this was not awarded, a note states he was inelligible because ne was "on board the "Walmer Castle". Walmer castle was owned by the Castle Line and I know the history of the ship but not movements during the Great War. I just wondered why the Victory medal was refused, any information would be appreciated, thank.

post-33619-1231319129.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hi Prolaser,

Did you ever discover what was going on?

I've just stumbled on a chap in the same position - no Victory Medal because he was on board Walmer Castle!

Kind regards

Annie

Hi Horatio2,

Thanks for the link - now you mention it, I think I'd seen the Walmer Castle before ... when looking at dazzle camouflage! However, in this case, I'm research a chap of the East Yorkshire Regiment who despite applying was refused the Victory Medal because he was 'on board Walmer Castle'. I doubt whether it's the same fellow as the first poster mentioned, so assume this is some standard procedure. Any ideas?

Kind regards

Annie

Actually, I think I might have answered my own question.

The 1st Garrison Bn East Yorks Regt was in India from 1916 and, if my reading is right, only those in France & Flanders before 11 November 1918 were entitled to the Victory Medal.

Would appreciate more learned views on this thought, please.

Many thanks & regards

Annie

Annie

No Victory Medal as India wasn't a war theatre.

Thanks Sotonmate, it's bizarre that this was expressed as 'on board Walmer Castle' ... rather than simply, 'no service in theatre of war'. Hey-ho, at least we now understand why he was refused the Victory Medal.