Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clemo Benjamin WEST A/416 2nd cavalry field ambulance

gemini69

Hi listers,

I have recently found out that the medal bar (jpg attched) that I had displayed with my gt grandad's South Africa and India medals was not in fact related to those medals - it is a bar from the WWI trio. I have posted another topic re my gt grandad to see if any listers can help with that question BUT in trying to get to the bottom of the medal bar mystery I have found the medal index card of my gt gt uncle: Clemo Benjamin West (jpg of card attached) It could turn out (though I'll never know for sure) that the bar was his. Now I have the MIC, what do I do now? I have searched all the ancestry.co.uk WWI records and Clemo does not show up anywhere on there.

His personal details, on top of the ones shown on the MIC are:

Clemo Benjamin WEST born 1891 Borstal, Kent.

Any help greatly appreciated

Weez, South Australia

post-18102-1231296499.jpg

post-18102-1231296509.jpg

This may be stating the obvious, but have you looked at the names on the edge of the medals? Or am I missing something?

yes yes yes

i know for sure that the medals are my gt grandad's but the WWI bar owner is a mystery. My grandad never ever mentioned his dad had served in WWI, only the SA and India campaigns.....:)

For Clemo you could use the references given on the MIC to get a copy of the medal roll. this should show date of enlistment and the battalions he served with. From there it is up to you where you look but I would usually start with the battalion war diary and any written histories that may be out there.

For your Great Grandad, I think you might have to make a list of all corresponding names and then work through it eliminating them one by one as you go.

Cheers,

Nigel

I have searched all the ancestry.co.uk WWI records and Clemo does not show up anywhere on there.

You need to wait a while; the ancestry listings are not complete yet.

• 11 months later...
Guest NygelWest

Dear Weez

Clemo Benjamin West is my Great Great Uncle. I have been searching for military history of my ancestory, and I googled his name into the search engine. The Great War Forum was top of the hits.

Are you able to tell me more about him and his military career?

Regards

Nygel West