Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Frearson (1898 - 1917) Highland Light Infantry

tracer01uk

Hello,

I am researching my family tree and am trying to discover information about my Grand Uncle, Herbert Frearson who was born in 1898 at Motherwell in Lanarkshire Scotland. He was Killed in Action in Belgium in 1917. He was a Private, 18th Bn, Highland Light Infantry (Service Number: 36561)

Looking for suggestions on what to do next. Thanks.

Regards,

David

David,

You could start with a look through the linked site (top of page) - The Long Long Trail. It gives info on researching a serviceman.

Ian

David

I can add that he enlisted in Glasgow in case you didn't know

regards John

FREARSON

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/07/1917

Service No: 36561

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Nieuport Mil. Cem. Mem. 18.

Cemetery: RAMSCAPPELLE ROAD MILITARY CEMETERY

David,

he is shown as a member of 16th HLI on the CWGC site and buried at Nieuport. He is also listed in the battn history, although it is clear from his service number than he was not an original member of the bttn.

The 16th HLI were heavily engaged in the German offensive at Nieuport, but this started on 10/7/17. There was a raid on 4/5 July 1917 described in the history. There is a recent reprint of the history....it is a pretty good read.

Regards

Adam

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the link both are my Grant Uncles. Following one of the link, it would appear that John Frearson (Herbert's brother) has a Soldier's Will at the National Archives of Scotland. It looks like you are only able to access the details via a personal visit so I guess it will have to wait for a while (bit too far to travel from Sydney, Australia).

Regards,

David

Will of 28888 Lance Corporal John Frearson, 14th Bn., Highland Light Infantry, formerly 21421 Scottish Rifles, Cause of death: Killed in action, France, Theatre: France and Flanders, 24 Oct 1916 Will dated 1 June 1916

Aye

Malcolm

It looks like you are only able to access the details via a personal visit.....

Hi David,

If you email them, they will make a digital copy for you. I think the charge is £10. The date of the will, 1st June 1916, is usually (but not always) an indicator of the date of the soldier going overseas (not necessarily for the first time), covering the period just before disembarkation or soon after arriving in the field.

All the best,

Stuart