Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd battalion royal fusiliers

mags43

Dear Forum I am trying to find when my grandfather was wounded,I know he was in the 3rd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers 28th Div.from Jan -May 1915 and he then was sent to the Dardenelles,and later on the somme 1916,but Iam intreasted in were he was between these months in F&F, I know that his commanding officer was "Du Maurier" I would like to do a trip in the new year and want to trace his foot steps any help would be a great help Mags43

Mags

You will need to post his name (and number if you have it).

The 3RF were in 85 Brigade of 28 Division,landed Le Havre Jan 1915. In October 1915 to Egypt,then Salonika. July 1918 left the Brigade and Division and to France where they joined 149 Brigade of 50 Division.

It is obvious that if he was on the Somme he would have changed Battalions,so if we have his name we might be able to help find where he went after 3RF. It could be that he was wounded whilst in 3RF and when he returned to fitness he was drafted to another Battalion.

Sotonmate

Dear Sotonmate thank you for replying my grandfather was 12770 Cpl D Sullivan he enlisted in 1907, Royal Fusiliers,I was told he was in India before the War broke out and he had finished his service, I also know he was in the 2nd Battalion at the Somme 1916 because I have just come accrossed his discharge paper and he spent over a year in hospital discharged on 30/11/1917, I would like to know if possible where his battalion was during 1915 F&F many thanks Mags43

Mags

You may have to see the War Diary for what he did in 1915 in F&F,though I would think that there was a book out there somewhere. WO95/2279 is for the 3 RF in France from Dec 1914 to Oct 1915. They were certainly at the Battle of Loos in Sept/Oct 1915.

While I am at it the 2 RF Diaries are,for Gallipoli,WO95/4310 Jan 1915 to Jan 1916,and WO95/2301 for France Feb 1916 to Mar 1919.

Sotonmate

Dear Sotonmate could you tell me where the best place to get a copy of theses documents or references WO, or would I have to visit a record office? many thanks Mags

Mags

The Diaries are at Kew Archives in London. There might be a book out there for this Regiment/Battalion,worth a Google on Amazon or Pen and Sword,or someone here might know of one.

Sotonmate

• 3 years later...

3 Fusiliers under command of Lt Col Guy du Maurier (uncle of daphne) were stationed in Lucknow India at the outbreak. They returned to a month under canvas near Winchester before crossing to Le Havre on the SS Atlantian on 18 Jan 1915.

Stephen

• Admin

Mags

The war diary for 3RF covering Dec 1914 - Oct 1915 (their time in F&F) can be downloaded from here and for 2RF in F&F after Gallipoli, the war diary is downloadeble here. Each will cost £3.36.

Glen