Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Malta Graves and Memorials Photo Offer

friartuck

Hello All,

I haven't been a member of the forum very long but I have already received so much help and information from members I would like to try and give something back.

I will be making my FIRST visit of the year to Malta in early February, so if there are any photos of graves or memorials required please let me know with as much detail as possible.

Regards,

Stephen. :rolleyes:

.....Malta in early February.....

SNAP!!!

I have just booked a 3 night break for Mrs. Ice tiger & I in Malta (7th-10th Feb). Very reasonable prices

Andy

That's a very kind offer. If I can take you up on it, could I please request a photo of the headstone of the following:

JONES, Louis

Private 2279

1/6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Died 17 September 1915

Buried in PIETA CEMETERY, MALTA, grave ref. Plot B, Row XI, Grave 4

He came from Holyhead, was a railway employee and died of dysentery (probably following the Suvla Bay landings) aged 27.

Indeed, if you wouldn't mind could you also take a general shot of the cemetery from a suitable vantage point? If successful you can let us know via this thread that you need or email addresses etc., or contact us by PM if preferred.

I haven't been to Malta since 1972 - in those days I hadn't read Ernle Bradford's The Great Siege which is one of my favourite military books, describing in vivid and accessible terms the unsuccessful assault on the island by the Turks in 1565.

Thanks, and have a good time

LST_164

That's a very kind offer. If I can take you up on it, could I please request a photo of the headstone of the following:

JONES, Louis

Private 2279

1/6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Died 17 September 1915

Buried in PIETA CEMETERY, MALTA, grave ref. Plot B, Row XI, Grave 4

He came from Holyhead, was a railway employee and died of dysentery (probably following the Suvla Bay landings) aged 27.

Indeed, if you wouldn't mind could you also take a general shot of the cemetery from a suitable vantage point? If successful you can let us know via this thread that you need or email addresses etc., or contact us by PM if preferred.

I haven't been to Malta since 1972 - in those days I hadn't read Ernle Bradford's The Great Siege which is one of my favourite military books, describing in vivid and accessible terms the unsuccessful assault on the island by the Turks in 1565.

Thanks, and have a good time

LST_164

LST_164

I've just had a look and I have a couple of general views of the cemetery in my files so if you send me your email address in a PM I will send them to you - just to whet your ppetite.

Regards,Stephen.

ps

I notice my boy is buried with an R.A.M.C. Corporal 545674 Meredith Jones, a married man who lived just up the road at Elm House in Rhyl.

SNAP!!!

I have just booked a 3 night break for Mrs. Ice tiger & I in Malta (7th-10th Feb). Very reasonable prices

While my wife and I spent our honeymoon there at the end of October!

In case either of you were intending to visit, I should point out that unfortunately the Malta War Museum at Fort St Elmo in Valletta is closed for the foreseeable future, as we found out "the hard way" (not really - it was a nice walk round the capital!), although we had a interesting chat with the ex-British Para security guard outside. Similarly the Lascaris War Rooms War Rooms are also now closed until further notice.

On the plus side, there is the excellent Martime Museum in The Three Cities, which inevitably has lots of Royal Navy stuff (pre- during- and post-WW1) on display. Literally just around the corner is the Malta at War Museum, which is based around the tunnel shelters cut into the rock by the islanders during WW2.

I'd also recommend the snorkelling at the Blue Lagoon on Comino.

While my wife and I spent our honeymoon there at the end of October!

In case either of you were intending to visit, I should point out that unfortunately the Malta War Museum at Fort St Elmo in Valletta is closed for the foreseeable future, as we found out "the hard way" (not really - it was a nice walk round the capital!), although we had a interesting chat with the ex-British Para security guard outside. Similarly the Lascaris War Rooms War Rooms are also now closed until further notice.

On the plus side, there is the excellent Martime Museum in The Three Cities, which inevitably has lots of Royal Navy stuff (pre- during- and post-WW1) on display. Literally just around the corner is the Malta at War Museum, which is based around the tunnel shelters cut into the rock by the islanders during WW2.

I'd also recommend the snorkelling at the Blue Lagoon on Comino.

Hi Nick, :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your marriage, I will try and find out why the Fort St Elmo Museum and the Lascaris War rooms are closed, both are worth a visit. On one of our visits to the War museum we were chatting with an attendant when to our surprise we found out his brother lives in our village in Wales!!

Kind regards,

Stephen.

Hello

Are you going anywhere near the Naval Cemetery at Kalkara?

Cheers

Mick

Hello Mick,

If you want me to, send me the details.

Regards,

Hi Friartuck, If you get the chance could you try and get a picture for me.. I am after Pte Beatty Mansfield. 1st A&SH died 22/11/1916. Buried Pieta Military Cemy D.XV.6.. Thank you.. JIM

Hi Friartuck, If you get the chance could you try and get a picture for me.. I am after Pte Beatty Mansfield. 1st A&SH died 22/11/1916. Buried Pieta Military Cemy D.XV.6.. Thank you.. JIM

Hi Jim,

I'll do my best.

Regards,

Stephen. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just thought I would bump this back up, as I go to Malta on Thursday.

Any more requests?

Kindest regards,

Literally just around the corner is the Malta at War Museum, which is based around the tunnel shelters cut into the rock by the islanders during WW2.

Stephen

I hope you have a good time away from all this snow!

I know that it isn't WW1 orientated but I would appreciate a photograph of the tunnel shelters to go with a personal account that I am transcribing at the moment for an elderly Maltese gentleman who was one of those who lived in the shelters. Also, if you come across one or the other, please would you take a photograph of Lion Street or St Paul's Street in Valletta (one of them was destroyed by bombing but I'm not sure which) where the same gentleman lived prior to moving into the tunnels.

Kind Regards

Myrtle

Stephen

If you're near Pieta, could you get me a picture of the stone of

Private James Bridge, 11350, 6th South Lancs, 22/12/1915. Grave ref C III 2

Cheers

Stephen Nulty

<br />Have a safe flight and an enjoyable journey.<br /><br />LST_164<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Last chance I leave in 4 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

A public thank-you to Stephen for the fine photos from Pieta cemetery.

Much appreciated,

LST_164