Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help on photo - Hodgers

christinedover

Hello

I am trying to identify the man in the attached photo. Since it came from my McIver-Hodgers side of the family, I believe it to be one of two men, both of whom died in WWI. But there are other possibilities as well. I think if someone can identify the regiment then I can attach a name.

I think the options are (both were living in Liverpool during WWI):

James Hodgers, Kings Liverpool 20th, private, #22411, born in Dundalk, Ireland abt 1885 and KIA 30 Jul 1916

Nicholas Hodgers, Royal Garrison Artillery, BDR, #49553, born in Louth, Ireland abt 1885 and DOW 3 Jan 1918

Other less likely options are:

John Hodgers, Royal Dublin Fusiliers #20066, born in Castlebellingham and appeared to be still living in Ireland during WWI; KIA 7 Sept 1916

Edward Hodgers (James' younger brother); 8th Irish Battalion Kings Liverpool, born in Liverpool in 1899. Joined up in 1915 but only served 47 days and later joined the navy for the rest of the war.

All help is greatly appreciated, (apologies for the cropped photo, but I needed to make the picture size smaller to upload. It is a full length picture and he is wearing what appear to be riding boots).

Christine

post-37606-1231110746.jpg

Hi Christine,

sadly there's no way of telling which regiment or unit the above served with from the photo, the full picture may hold further clues so if there'e any chance of seeing it in its full. I would say that the medal he's sporting could be a 'competition award' but I'm no expert.

Jon

Is it possible to get a good close-up of the buttons on his tunic? They appear to be regimental ones, not the standard General Service ones, and may give a clue to the regiment - from what I see, they look rather like the crossed Vickers guns of the MGC...

I was about to say that the absence of a lanyard on the left shoulder made the RFA man less likely, but then read about the riding boots. A full copy of the photo would help, and you can have it reduced, easily, by copying it to this address:

http://www.resize2mail.com/

and following the on-screen instructions - even I, non-tech - can do it!

D

I was about to say that the absence of a lanyard on the left shoulder made the RFA man less likely, but then read about the riding boots. A full copy of the photo would help, and you can have it reduced, easily, by copying it to this address:

http://www.resize2mail.com/

and following the on-screen instructions - even I, non-tech - can do it!

D

D

thanks, yes that was easy. Here is the smaller version of the full photo. Sorry about the damage (I got it that way years ago when my great aunt passed away).

post-37606-1231291518.jpg

Hi Christine.

I have done a quick restore on the photo for you (You have a PM by the way) but it is at too low a resolution to make out any fine detail which may identify his regiment, or the "medal" he is wearing.

It is interesting to note however that he is wearing leggings instead of puttees, does that suggest anything significant to the more enlightened of us here????

Brian

post-37606-1231291518.jpg