Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres visit

Terry Carter

Hi folks

Not a regular vistor to the Saliant, though I have plenty of books etc. Some friends have invited me to share a short visit with them in the near future. They have asked me to guide them around. The 8 p.m. Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate will be the main focus of our attention in the evenings. Is there any other place of interest during the evening in Ypres.

Where would you recommend other places to visit. The last time I visted Ypres was about 6 years ago and I went to Essex Farm, Hooge Crater Museum, Croonart Wood Trenches, Plugstreet Wood (Bruce Bairnsfather's Cottage). I take it other places of interest have now opened since my last visit.

Cheers

Terry

Dear Terry

Depending upon the focus of your trip, there are many places worth visiting.

After the 8 o'clock, it is usually just best to think about eating!

To visit....how about going to Hooge Crater Cemetery, then over the road into the grounds of the chateau (now a hotel) and following the trail there.

Langemarck German Cemetery

Yorkshire Trench

The Passchendaele Experience Museum in Zonnebeek, then to Dochy Farm cemetery (on the line of the Australians' attack up the hill...lo up to Tyne Cot) and then to Tyne Cot ....you will find the Australians!

There are also just so many fascinating cemeteries, along with favourites like Sanctuary Wood and In Flanders Fields in Ypres itself.

You will NOT be short of places to see!

Bruce

Hill 60 area and its environs like Caterpillar Crater

Pool of Peace - Messines Ridge

Irish Peace Park - Messines

St George's Church Ypres

Also worthwhile doing the Trenches of Death and Peace Tower at Dixmuide.

sm

Note - limited opening during winter months i.e. closed some days of the week.

One of the replies took me to an old thread regarding the recently published Ypres Battlemap. I have tried surfing the net to find out where I can buy one, with no luck. As anyone got one for sale? or let me know where I can get one from.

Terry

Thanks for the replies. You have been very helpfull. The trip will most likely be sometime in March.

Terry

Terry,

When you go to Tyne Cot, time your visit so that your group are the only ones there if poss., early or late in the day. Shouldn't be too difficult in March. Park around the back, (the new front) in the new(ish) car park adjacent to the visitor centre. With a small group you can "control" them. Make sure you walk towards the visitor centre down the wooden pathway slowly and quietly. You will then get the full atmosphere of the place with the sounds that you will hear.

If you search the forum for Marniks 2006 thread "Tynecot, New visitor-center" there are some posted comments about this. It was my first visit and it was inspiring.

Owen Hales

ps Any spare seats?