The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheaky ****** alert!

haworthnick

I would gbe very grateful if there are any pals from the north west going over to the salient in the very near future, as I'm in the process of planning my own trip over later on in the year and I believe there is a walking map on sale at the Cloth Hall and was hoping that some kind soul could purchase it for me and then I could refund them the money.

If this offends anyone's sensibilities or can offer another solution please let me know.

Nick

PS I know the best option would be to buy direct from the Cloth Hall over the Interweb but have previously lost out on conversions dooing this kind of thing and so am reluctant to do the same again.

Nick

I'm at Varlet Farm for the next 3 days so will see if I can sort something out - we won't be in Ypres today but probably will tomorrow

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian that would be very much appreciated. I look forward to speaking to you when you get back.

Have a good trip

Thanks

Nick

Jon.

Thanks for your post, we already have the Holts Guide and Battlefield Map, but we are planning on doing the majority of the tour on shanks's pony, so we could do with a fairly detailed walking map so we can link together walks that we've seen in "Walking the Salient" by Paul Reed.

Nick

Nick

Have you seen any details of the map ? Scale or area covered for example. There will be the equivalent of Ordnance Survey - or is this a map specifically focussed on the Great War? Any idea who published it?

Just want to be sure what I'm looking for.

Cheers

Brian

Don't know if there is the same choice, but when I was there in October there was about a dozen cycling maps to choose from.

What area are you interested in ?

Mick

“Wandelnetwerk Ieperboog" Is the map that they have stated as the most complete map of the area, the sites that we are hoping to cover are:

Up the canal to Boezinge,

Messines Ridge

Passchendaele

Sanctuary Wood and Hooge

St Julian and Langemark

Hill 60,

As folks can see it's quite a disperate collection which is why we want to see if it's possible to combine a couple of the walks (or bike rides) in the same day. Though we have been warned aagainst trying to cram to much in such a short time.

Thanks for the replies so far

Nick

Nick

I got to the tourist office this morning - the “Wandelnetwerk Ieperboog" is really only a leaflet that folds out into a somewhat stylised map of the area south & east of Ypres - and they wanted 6 Euros for it. It's not worth that - you would be much better off looking at the Belgian NGI maps when you get over there - they do 1:20,000 maps for 5.60 Euros which are far superior.

In the interim, Google Earth or Google Maps will give you a pretty good idea of how the various excellent walks in Paul Reed's book fit together - you could use the Ruler tool to draw the walks - and then see how they could be linked together.

Sorry about that but I don't like seeing anyone's money being wasted!

Regards

Brian

Ok thank you very much for looking for me anyway.

I'll have to set some time down to get it all squared away.

How did the world function before the advent of Google?

Nick

I knew if I asked someoene would answer pretty quickly