The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment

nigatt

Dear All

My Great Grandad served in the Lincolnshire Regiment during WWI. He joined up in August 1914 and was demobed in 1919. I have two important events I would dearly love further information on. He was injured on 15 November 1916 (at the Battle of Ancre, I believe). Where can I get hold of the Battalion diary to confirm this? Secondly, he was taken POW on 10 September 1918 again where can I find further detail of the Battalion in action on this day?

Any responses/information greatly appreciated

best wishes

Nigel

English Dog,

Before you spend money on ordering the war diaries online a couple things you may want to consider;

1-8th Lincs didn't list the OR wounded in the war diaries I have. (Sep-Nov 1915, Aug-Sep 1916 and Apr-May 1918)

2-Another forum member may have the diaries, and be willing to share them with you.

3-Forum Member John Kitchen has the Battalion Roll for the 8th Lincs for much of 1916/17 which should have the information you ar elooking for.

BTW-What is the name of your Great Grandad.

Jim

Mt g'grandad was Pte William Walker Allen - his number was 8386. He joined the 8th Battlaion in 1914. In 1918 he was taken POW and ended up in Dulmen POW camp. Demobed in Grantham 1919.

I have the war dairy and they are not exactly revealing as to what happened. Both dates give little information in regard to what you are after but you are welcome to drop me a line and we can discuss further.

Regards

Arm

Was William was Special reservist by any chance?

He may have been his reg no was 3/8683. A member of this forum contacted me and said that he had variously been a member of the 3rd, 8th, 7th and 2/5th Battalions! So I'm a bit confused now.

I have the war dairy and they are not exactly revealing as to what happened. Both dates give little information in regard to what you are after but you are welcome to drop me a line and we can discuss further.

Regards

Arm

Hi there - yes, please any detail is helpful in putting his history together - many thanks indeed. BW Nigel

There does seem to be quite a file of info on this soldier, on Ancestry. Date/place of capture 10.09.1918/medical record/wounds/regimental conduct sheet/details of service with 2/Lincs No.8053 pre-war/various kit and pretty comprehensive.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned this so far, or do you already have this information?

Dick

There does seem to be quite a file of info on this soldier, on Ancestry. Date/place of capture 10.09.1918/medical record/wounds/regimental conduct sheet/details of service with 2/Lincs No.8053 pre-war/various kit and pretty comprehensive.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned this so far, or do you already have this information?

Dick

I have just got some of this things are now beginning to make sense - however I was unaware of his prewar record, where can I find that? Many thanks indeed.

The details of pre-war service are among the ten or so other forms available from Ancestry for the WW1 period.

His details for pre-war service are on his Attestation Papers. They state he was 'Medically Unfit for service' in 1907. It gives his number as 8053 and unit as the 2/Lincs.

He suffered a GSW(Gun Shot Wound) to the head 15/11/1916.

There are addresses, all his postings and home leave listed.

Dick

I would upload them all for you, but I have no time at the moment.

On the nightshift for work this next couple of days and won't have much time.

I am sure one of the lads on here can furnish you with some more details.

Dick W

I would upload them all for you, but I have no time at the moment.

On the nightshift for work this next couple of days and won't have much time.

I am sure one of the lads on here can furnish you with some more details.

Dick W

Hi there have downloaded stuff from Ancestry. What a wealth of information! None of my family knew any of this. I recall my mum saying her grandad had been a POW for four years - clearly he was not.

Good show, I am so pleased that you found it OK.

Yes, it is a pretty good read and so comprehensive, too.

Cheers,

Dick