Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Patrick Holohan.

Private Patrick Holohan 3130

1st Battalion Royal Irish Regt.

Died March 16th 1915.

Menin Gate.

CWGC Additional info gives - Buried at the time in Zossen Communal Cemetery in Germany.

It would appear that he was wounded and captured at Neuve Chapelle and died in enemy hands with his grave being subsequently lost.

Bob.

• 5 years later...

I came across this post when researching Casements Irish Brigade at Zossen. It is difficult to untangle the deaths of these two men.

1. Separate MICs exist for two Patrick Holohan

2. One died 16 Mar 1916 and other 16 Mar 1915

3. Both in Royal Irish Regt

4. Both apparently buried at Zossen - I think this is where the confusion creeps in, as CWGC have perhaps erroneously added this to the death of the man commemorated on Menin Gate

Anyone able to clarify this one?

Patrick Holohan died 16 Mar 1915

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1614707

Name: HOLOHAN, PATRICK

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 16/03/1915

Service No: 3130

Additional information: (Buried at the time in Zossen Communal Cemetery, Germany).

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 33.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

and

Patrick Holohan died 16 Mar 1916

Name: HOLOHAN, PATRICK

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 16/03/1916

Service No: 9877

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Zassen Cem. Mem.

Cemetery: BERLIN SOUTH-WESTERN CEMETERY

not sure if this helps or adds to the confusion....

Ireland's casualties of WW1 has :

9877 as died of wounds France 26th March 1918. A Corporal (Lance Sergeant) from St Cannices's, Kilkenny. 2nd Battn Royal Irish Regt. Entry repeated in SDGW. Both give date of death as 1918.

3130 as killed in action France 16th March 1915. 1st Battn Royal Irish Regt. SDGW has him born St Mary's, Kilkenny; resident Tipp. Enlisted Tipp.

For 3130 - service record online at Ancestry. Lots of family info, enlisted 4th Battn Royal Irish Regt 1904 aged 18. No info re being a PoW; lots of info re being presumed dead as at 16/3/1915. MIC shows 1915 Star, BWM and VM. Entered theatre 25/1/1915

For 9877 - no service record online at Ancestry. MIC shows 1914 Star, BWM and VM. Died as PoW 16/3/1916 (not 1918 as per Ireland Cas and SDGW) Also says see 9878 Patrick Houlihan. Entered theatre 19/9/1914

give the 2 number for 9877/9878 MICs :

9877 Royal Irish Regt Pte William Clancy. No date of entry to theatre. BWM and VM awarded.

9878 Royal Irish Regt Cpl William Viles entered theatre 19/12/1914. 1914 Star, VM and BWM awarded.

'SDGW has him born St Mary's, Kilkenny; resident Tipp. Enlisted Tipp. '

SDGW says resident in Kilkenny not Tipp.

Regards.

Tom.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I am interested in Patrick Holohan too. I have been looking at the family tree.

My paternal grandmothers family are the Holohans from Abbeyleix and Athy in Queens County Laios.

Patrick moved to Heckmondwike and lived with his sister Mary in the 1911 census.

I had wondered if this was the same Patrick as you have listed. I noticed the discrepancies between the 2 Patricks on the CWGC site too..

In fact I now know "our" Patrick enlisted in the Dragoon of the line in Jan 1914 but was discharged within 2 weeks as unsuitable for military service . The question I have is whether he could have/did re- enlist or get drafted later on and end up as a casualty. I cant find any record of him having been married and he did not return to Ireland.

Is it possible he is one of these other two? Its possible he might have changed some details to avoid being identified as the same man previously unsuitable. I suppose standards came down later on?

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt that he is 9877 who joined Casement's Irish Brigade and died in Zossen in 1916. This is well documented in various places. My notes on 9877 Patrick Holohan are on this link - click

He appears to have deserted the British Army in India, and escaped by a German cargo boat, arriving at Marseilles in 1914. He re-entered the British Army under the general amnesty given to deserters. He was wounded and taken prisoner in Oct 1914, and ended up in Limburg, then Zossen