Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 40725 Robert H Roxburgh 10/11 HLI

Roxy

Pte Robert H Roxburgh was killed in action on 1 Aug 1917.

He was part of 10/11 HLI and is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

SNWM and Ancestry have him listed as being from Glasgow; CWGC indicated that he was the husband of Eliza from Invercargill, NZ.

Scotland's People have Robert Houston marrying Eliza Scrimgeour in 1914. I can find no indication of Robert or Eliza emigrating to NZ.

I am fairly certain that Robert, born in Glasgow and married to Eliza, may have gone to NZ only to return a few months later to answer the call to the colours. Is there anything else that I can do to help piece together this jigsaw?

Thanks in advance,

Roxy

Heya, Stuart. :)

Might Eliza have gone to NZ after the war and not with her husband just prior? I have a feeling the family members have to fill in the CWGC form post-war, hence some of the widows having remarried in the meantime etc. So her being in Invercargill could be from that time? Where/When did he enlist? (I'm on the wrong computer for looking up SGDW). One other thing might be to see if he is on the Invercargill War Memorial which might indicate that he'd been there. Long shot, though.

Allie

Allie,

Thanks. I did think about Eliza emigrating after the war - after I'd posted! Robert enlisted into a New Army battalion; so I think that he probably enlisted at the start of the war. He was married in Glasgow in 1914; prior to the start of the war.

Any idea where I could find if he is on the Invercargill WM?

In the meantime, I'll see if Eliza left the UK after the war.

Roxy

The NZ History online site has pictures of most of the war memorials in NZ, often with photos of each panel of names, but unfortunately they don't have a close-up of the names of the main cenotaph in Invercargill. Only a full view of the memorial here. I have an aunt who lives not far from the memorial, but unfortunately her health is such that I can't ask her to go and look. Sorry. :(

I'll see if I can find the details for the local historical or genealogy society in case one of their members will go and have a look-see.

Edit Here is the website and contact details for the Southland branch of the NZ Society of Genealogists:click. Hopefully someone will be helpful!

Allie

Allie,

Thanks again. I've seen the War Memorial and Cenotaph on the web. Mrs Roxy and I are visiting NZ in Feb; I will try to 'encourage' her to visit Invercargill!

Roxy

I've since discovered that Eliza died in Scotland in 1966. Still can't find any evidence of a move to NZ; but the Pte RH Roxburgh MIC equating to the CWGC New Zealand connection is listed on SDGW as born (and resident!) in Glasgow. I think that this is a relative of mine; but not 100% sure!

Roxy

• 2 weeks later...

I've just found that Eliza Roxburgh died at Dunedin in 1946 (aged 48). However, I am still confused. The only Scottish Robert Roxburgh (born in 1892/3) are 'my' Robert H and another Robert F. Ancestry intimates that SDGW has Robert H (HLI) was born in Glasgow. Can any Pal confirm/deny?

Roxy

I got confirmation that Robert H Roxburg (HLI) was born and enlisted in Glasgow.

Thanks, Ralph.

I'm stumped regarding the NZ connection!

Roxy

I still think that Robert is one of my relatives.