Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help in identifying uniform

stephj

I have come across this photograph whilst researching my family history and I would be grateful for any help in identifying the regiment the uniform belongs to.

Thank you.

post-39416-1230921478.jpg

I have come across this photograph whilst researching my family history and I would be grateful for any help in identifying the regiment the uniform belongs to.

Thank you.

I think it might be Liverpool Scottish, or more properly the 1/10th (Scottish) Battalion The King's (Liverpool Regiment) although I am prepared to be corrected. The sporran badge should give it away and it looks to me like the 1/10th's horse. Ian Riley would be the man to check with on this.

It is an interesting tunic - not standard (but the 1/10th were a territorial unit). It has shaped (scalloped) pocket flaps, no lower pockets and what appear to be leather buttons. (Which I believe were quite common in the Liverpool Scottish). He is wearing a Pattern '14 belt.

Do you have a name for the relative involved (which could be checked) - or are there any indications regarding the location of the photographer on the back?

Hope this helps!

Chris

I think it might be Liverpool Scottish, or more properly the 1/10th (Scottish) Battalion The King's (Liverpool Regiment) although I am prepared to be corrected. The sporran badge should give it away and it looks to me like the 1/10th's horse. Ian Riley would be the man to check with on this.

It is an interesting tunic - not standard (but the 1/10th were a territorial unit). It has shaped (scalloped) pocket flaps, no lower pockets and what appear to be leather buttons. (Which I believe were quite common in the Liverpool Scottish). He is wearing a Pattern '14 belt.

Do you have a name for the relative involved (which could be checked) - or are there any indications regarding the location of the photographer on the back?

Hope this helps!

Chris

Many thanks for your speedy reply. There is no photographer's name on the back. I do have a name for the relative but unfortunately it is a very common one - John Willliam Hudson.

Steph

It is a Liverpool Scottish uniform but there is no mention of J.W Hudson in either the nominal role of the 1st Battalion in McGilchrists history, nor in Hal Giblins book "Bravest of Hearts "

The Liverpool Scottish museum or Promenade may have some information on the man.

P.B.

It is a Liverpool Scottish uniform but there is no mention of J.W Hudson in either the nominal role of the 1st Battalion in McGilchrists history, nor in Hal Giblins book "Bravest of Hearts "

The Liverpool Scottish museum or Promenade may have some information on the man.

P.B.

I found an MIC for John William Hudson in the 1/8th Bn King's Regiment ("Liverpool Irish") but know nothing about the possibility of a transfer between battalions not shown on MIC (or if the Liverpool Irish had pipers who wore kilts??)

Chris

I noticed a few John William Hudson's in the CEF, there wouldn't be a Canadian branch would there?

The Canadian Liverpool Scottish.... maybe not eh?

What's the mark/badge on the sporran , above tassles?

Mike

The badge on the sporran is that of the Kings liverpool Regiment ( in all white metal ) The liverpool Irish did not have pipers in WW1 ( interestingly they did in WW2 )

P.B.

post-63-1230936733.jpg

I've done some more research on the internet and am now confused. I read that the all white metal badge was used by the 7th and 9th battalions, the Scottish used their own. I found the John W Hudson in the medal rolls but he was in the 8th battalion which I understand is Irish - am I right in assuming that they didn't wear kilts? He wasn't from the Liverpool area, he was from Nottingham (although his mother was from Ireland) and he survived the war.

First of all the Liverpool Irish did not wear kilts except their pipers did in WW2

The other ranks Liverpool Scottish sporran badge was the same design as the Kings Liverpools other ranks cap badge but in all white.The Glengarry badge was a differnet design but incorporated the white horse and scroll "The Kings".

Although a number of books suggest that other ranks of both the 7th and 9th Territorial Battalions of the Kings Liverpools wore all white metal badges, recent research suggests that this might not have been the case with the 9th battalion who probably wore the same bi metal badge as the regulars.

P.B.