Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie Helmet maker & Unit badges

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I have a raw edged British Brodie which was used by a member of the Black Watch. It has a Red Hackle painted on the left hand side and a dirty Yellow stripe running around the base of the helmet.

The makers mark is faint, but reads 'L S 23' The first 3 marks are faint but complete, the 3 only shows the bottom half. Any ideas who may have made this helmet, or which battalion it was issued to?

Regards,

Stewart

Like to see a picture if poss.

TT

There is no steel supplier recorded coded as 'LS' as such; but there was an MLS (Miris) manufacturing in 1916 and 17. From what I can recall Miris helmets are uncommon. Otherwise it could be HS (Hadfield), FS (Thomas Firth & Sons) or BS (Beardmore & Co).

The 'brim band' is a known Black Watch brigade/ bn scheme - but can't lay hands on a reference for the life of me at the moment. I suspect it could by 153rd Bde, 51st Highland Div.

My example - with green band - is below.

BlackWatch.jpg

Best wishes,

GT.

Hello GT & TT,

That looks very much the same as my Brodie. I will try and take some photos of it tonight. I do not know if the Makers stamps will show up too well in a photo, but I will try.

Regards,

Stewart

Grovetown, are you sure, that "MLS" is Miris code? How do You know this? I searched this producer, but I found nothing ("MLS - unknown"; Mirris is as "MS" or "M&S"?).

I have one shell signed MLS and made magnetic steel. It was used by AEF.

ec3fcda33b450b77m.jpg

fcf7bb6ec31864a9m.jpg

(The photos before cleaning)

Piotrek

How do You know this?

The History of the Steel Helmet in the First World War, Haselgrove & Radovic, Vol II. With acknowledgements to Marcus Cotton.

Best wishes,

GT.

Stewart,

I don't think it was HD as they seemed to wear the Brigade and Battalion stripes (horizontal and vertical) on the helmet. There is a good picture of one of the 4th Gordons wearing the 3 vertical stripes on their helmets at the battle of Cambrai. They are crossing a trench at, but I am at a loss to find the photo just now.

Aye

Tom McC

And this is the makers marks. I had to pencil them in so they showed up in the photo. No other marks were visible. There is no sign of a 'M' next to the 'LS'

Regards,

Stewart

post-3488-1231005647.jpg

Great photo's Wardog. It's good to see that LS was a mark used. Any ideas who they were? Also what does the Logo to the left of the mark say. To me it looks like 'MYRRYS' with one of the R's reversed so that the two straight edges are joined together to form one central line between the two R's.

GT did you find you reference regarding the Unit markings? I would love to be able to know which Battalion/ Division used these markings and also the dates when they were used.

Regards,

Stewart

Interesting that LS is not recorded - even as an unknown - by the accepted references on the subject.

No immediate sign of a reference for the battalion etc (although not exactly hunting high and low at the moment). 153rd was a suggestion based on having two RH Bns in the same brigade.

There's a green band (no hackle) - unit unknown - in Haselgrove/ Radovic (above); and NF in 62nd Bde, 21st Div had a red band (but no RH interest in that division).

Best wishes,

GT.

Hello GT,

Thanks for the info. If I turn up any reference to Div/Bde or Bn. I will let you know. Will check through my Black Watch books etc.

Regards,

Stewart

• 9 years later...