Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Hospital Swansea area

Rob Bulloch

Hello the Forum.

Was there a Military Hospital in the Swansea area, I came across a soldier buried in Danygraig Cemetery he is one of eighty Great War burials in this cemetery. There are also several foreign nationals buried there, it was being used in WWII as a military graveyard. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rob.

Dave Many thanks for the information and the listing. Thats a keeper.

Cheers Rob.

Not an expert but Danygraig Cemetery was opened in 1856 - the first corporation (i.e. local council) cemetery in the area. It is still in use for burials in existing family graves (no space for new graves). Its prime use in WW2 would still have been as a civilian cemetery, albeit with a number of military burials of those brought home wounded who later died. There is a cross of remembrance and a small semi circle (from memory) of war graves there though others of that type are scattered around the cemetery.

Not sure about a military hospital but there was a general hospital, I think a school was used for receiving casualties and several notable citizens 'donated' the use of their houses and (often large) grounds for similar purposes. Quite likely that some 'minor' wound cases picked up fatal infections and ended up at Danygraig...

Bernard