Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Order of wearing medals

pandrcurle

I have the following medals that belonged to my grandfather: WW1-British War Medal and Victory Medal. WW11- 39-45 Star, Atlantic Star and 39-45 War Medal. I would like to mount them in a display case and I wondered if some kind person could inform me of the order that they should be displayed. Maybe in two rows, WW1 with WW11 underneath.

Thats the order you weat them in

BWM- Vic.- 39-45 Star -Atlantic -War medal

Pjay,

Have you a photo of him. It might be nice to mount that with the medals, also maybe a cap badge from his unit and shoulder titles.

Food for thought.

Cheers Andy.

Mick,

Would the star (1914 or 1914-15) be worn as the first medal on the left, as we look at them ?

Mick

Yes. My Grandfather's Pip, Squeak and Wilfred are mounted on a single bar and his Mons (1914) Star is on the left, with the War Medal next to it and then the Victory medal.

Keith

Mick,

Would the star (1914 or 1914-15) be worn as the first medal on the left, as we look at them ?

Mick

yes

This is how I have mounted the medals of Sgt. John Angus Glendinning ot the Liverpool Scottish who also served in WW2 and ended up as a Lt Col.

P.B.

post-63-1230922091.jpg

My only comment would be that the rosette was not for mounting on the medal ribbon of the 1914 Star but rather on the service ribbon. The medal ribbon should bear the date bar. Dick Flory

You're correct, Dick, but my Grandfather sewed his rosette onto the medal ribbon - for safekeeping as much as anything I guess. He never wore them.

Keith

Dick I agree with Rockdoc that you are of course correct but the rosettes came on the ribbons ( on both the full size and miniatures ) so that is how I have kept them.

P.B.