Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Theatre entered date

nthornton1979

Hi all,

I could do with a little help on this if possible ?

All relate to the Cheshire Regiment.

I have three men who all entered France on the same date - 25.09.15

Their numbers are :

I assumed they must have all been in the same Battalion but now I'm not so sure. I would much appreciate any thoughts as to what there Battalions could be.

I have a 16534: Pte R S Mason 1st Bn Cheshire Regiment who entered France 26.09.15

I also have 13154: Cpl F Elson who entered France on the same date but served in the 10th Bn.

This proves my theory as to the same Battalion was wrong !

Am I way off the mark by trying to figure out Battalions by theatre entry dates ?

(I presume reinforcements were regularly been sent for each Battalion ?)

Many thanks

Neil

Neil

The Long Long Trail,at top left of this page,lists three Cheshire Battalions landed in France around the time you say:

10th and 11th Service Battalions,part of 75 Brigade of 25 Division,at Le Havre on 26.9.1915.

13th Service Battalion,part of 74 Brigade of 25 Division,at Le Havre on 25.9.1915

You are right also in the reinforcement comment,batches were drafted as required,and didn't necessarily coincide with a Division/Brigade move to the War Theatre.

The 1st Battalion landed on 16.8.1914,so your man Mason seems to have been a replacement, or already a (drafted?) member of the 3 battalions listed here.

Sotonmate

Thanks Sotonman,

Pte Mason was definetly a 1st Bt man as he was KIA and I have his details.

I will be taking Johns (Hartley) advice and visiting The Cheshire Regiment Museum in the New Year to attempt to catty out some research. I have so many queries I just want to try and get a few answers before I head there.I don't want to get there and miss something that I would have spotted if I'd have got advice before hand.

Neil

p.s - Happy New Year !

Neil

The War Dairy for the 1st Cheshires is at Kew under WO95/1571 and has two parts,one from Aug 1914 to Nov 1917 and two from Apr 1918 to Apr 1919.

The Diary for the 10th Battalion is under WO95/2243 and runs from Sep 1915 to Jun 1918.

Sotonmate

• 1 month later...

I have recently added a thread about the 4th cheshires and drafts.

I did an analysis of crookendens 1/4th casualties

There are three who entered france on 26/9/1915

regards

david

Thanks Sotonman,

Pte Mason was definetly a 1st Bt man as he was KIA and I have his details.

I will be taking Johns (Hartley) advice and visiting The Cheshire Regiment Museum in the New Year to attempt to catty out some research. I have so many queries I just want to try and get a few answers before I head there.I don't want to get there and miss something that I would have spotted if I'd have got advice before hand.

Neil

p.s - Happy New Year !

Try and make your visit to the Cheshires Museum for a Saturday morning - that's when their expert is available.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Mark