Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tv Documentaries on the Home Front

David_Blanchard

Hello,

Could anyone recommend any TV documentaries- or parts of documentaries- which deal with events on the Home Front during the Great War. For example from the BBC 1964 Great War series part 8 'Why don't you come and help us?' considers various aspects of life during the war particularly the role of munitions workers, anti-German riots, zeppelin raids etc.

I am particularly interested in the role of propaganda.

I look forward to reading any suggestions.

Regards

David

David,

Testimony Films in Bristol made Horror on the Home Front which was broadcast in 2002:

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites.../homefront.html

A Google search for the company will take you to their site. It may be worth contacting Steve Humphries for a copy of the programme (although I can't vouch that he'll send you one).

The accompanying book by Richard van Emden & Steve Humphries deals with the issues in a lot more detail and is a very good read.

Cheers

Jeremy

Thanks for your recommendation- I will check out the website and see if I can find a download of the programme.

Regards David

Hi David,

I know this is not a link to documentaries but I was browsing the Gutenberg project and saw that about one third of the way down the page there is a section on books about the home front. I have no idea what they are like but it may be worth a look if you are after specific information.

CLICK HERE

Happy hunting!

Jeremy