Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help - Which Light Infantry Regt

Seany K

Hi,

Wondering if anyone out there can help. I'm trying to discover which regiment my great uncle Austin Kavanagh (aka James Austin Kavanagh) was in when this photo was taken. I can make out the cornet, so am sure he is light infantry of some form but that's about it. The Durham LI seems the closest I can make out but am unsure why he would be in that regiment as I beleive he was living in the Aldershot area at the time (he was born in Liverpool and spent a long time in Manchester, but no connection with further up north).

Any help would be great.

Thanks again,

- Sean

post-15075-1230728050.jpg

post-15075-1230728065.jpg

Hi Sean,

I'd go for the DLI, there's a MIC for Sgt James Kavanah at the NA. His collar badges would denote a Pioneer Bn. from what I remember the 11th and 20th Bns were Pioneer Bns. Also it looks like he's wearing his medal ribbons so good for dating the photo,

cheers, Jon

Def not KOYLI - their badge was a French horn with a white rose in the centre.

From the shape, this has to be DLI or KSLI, I'd say; as only the DLI had Pioneer Bns (11th and 22nd (3rd County) Bns), I'd say DLI.

Additionally, as the 22nd were disbanded in July 1918, if it's a post-war photo, then 11th is favourite.

One caveat: the 1/7th (TF) absorbed the 22nd and themselves became a Pioneer Bn (8th Division) in 1918, so they're an outside chance, too.

The shape indicates either DLI or KSLI. The KSLI capbadge has a 'knot' in the bugle cord where the DLI has the crown. It is DLI because it has a crown on the top.

Kind regards

Woolly

Thanks for the quick response. The photo is dated WW1 - not very helpful! I don't beleive he served prior to the war.

What are the QSA and KSA (guessing South Africa). He is missing from the 1901 census so could have been overseas in the army. Might also help to explain why the rest of the family moved to Aldershot.

Have also attached another photo of him with his brother (Henry aka John H. Kavanagh), who was in the Royal Scots at the time (I beleive; his MC shows 4 different regiments - Royal Scots, Sussex, Queens & Hampshire) and their father to see if that helps.

Thanks again

- Sean

post-15075-1230742268.jpg

Hi Sean,

I'd go for the DLI, there's a MIC for Sgt James Kavanah at the NA. His collar badges would denote a Pioneer Bn. from what I remember the 11th and 20th Bns were Pioneer Bns.

cheers, Jon

Jon

and Sgt James Kavanagh, 25612 DLI, 425548 Labour Corps was in the 11th Battalion. :)

post-627-1230746501.jpg

Gentlemen.. The regiment in question is not the K.O.Y.L.I, for that is the smallest badge in the British Army, and is made up of a Brass light-infantry horn with a White Metal English Rose mounted upon the center. The D.L.I., or K.S.L.I. are the closest match. However, as 'Woolly' has mentioned, the D.L.I. seems the most ligical due to the Crown being uppemost. I shall post illustrations of all as soon as I retrieve my books shortly.

Seph

..here you go, but the illustrations are not to scale ... K.O.Y.L.I., K.S.L.I., D.L.I.

post-18081-1230749915.jpg

post-18081-1230749948.jpg

post-18081-1230749981.gif

Definitely DLI - and definitely not KOYLI, as stated. KOYLI badge no bigger than a collar badge, to help with the scale.

Happy New Year

Peter

I'm no expert, but could it be the somerset light infantry

Definately not SLI whose badge carried the 'Jellalabad' scroll on top and no King's crown

Sean, the second pic shows James with at least 3 overseas service chevrons (blue) on his lower cuff. Henry is wearing his Royal Scots 'Tam' and 2 brass wound stripes on his lower cuff.

Jon

Droocoo... your way off with that assumption, for the Somerset Light Infantry cap badge has a castleated rampart surmounted by a motto schroll instead of the King's Crown (as mentioned by Jay)... as illustrated.

Seph

post-18081-1230872994.jpg

Hope you don't mind. I took the liberty of cleaning up the original photo a bit.

Sgtfix.jpg

regards

Brian

P.s. Also tried fixing the group shot, but must be too close to christmas...cant seem to get it right :blush:

group.jpg

group2.jpg

If thats not a Durham Light Infantry cap badge, then I'll eat hay with a cuddy. I wore the beret badge as a member of Ushaw Moor Detachment, Durham ACF during the 1960's albeit with a Queens Crown and in anodised aluminium. The badge continued to be worn by certain Durham ACF Detachments long after the regiment had become part of the Light Infantry. The lads at South Shields used to wear their own badge modelled on the DLI one, which had the letters 'DCB' instead of 'DLI' and went by the title '1st Durham Cadet Battalion'.

Gents,

thank you all again for your help with this. Does antone know if their was ever a list or book published of people awarded the QAS and KAS (assuming those are the ribbons shown)?

Brian,

many, many thanks for the job on the photo's - really apreciated.

Thanks again,

- Sean

Re 'cleaned up' photo. He is unequivocally in a pioneer battalion (see collar badges) of the Durham Light Infantry (DLI).

post-599-1231187115.jpg

..and in the second, cleaned-up photograph he has overseas service chevrons, and seems to have acquired a third ribbon not present on the first picture (the white central stripe of the King's South Africa is the marker - there is something after that ribbon).