Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF/RFC Rank structure

Ted368

Hello,

could anyone give me a full listing of RAF ranks (Officers and other ranks) prior to their change in 1919? I'm led to believe that officer's ranks were as RFC (army), but not the case for the other ranks? My Granfather's rank was AMech. 3 (Air Mechanic Class 3?), what were the following ranks from here on prior to 1919?

Thank you, Ted

Ted

The RAF originally used Army/RFC rank titles. When distinctive RAF ranks were introduced in August 1919 the basic philosophy was to use RNAS type titles for commissioned ranks, eg 'Flight Lieutenant' rather than 'Captain', and Army titles for non-commissioned ranks.

The 1918-1919 NCO ranks were: Warrant Officer Class I, Warrant Officer Class II, Flight Sergeant, Sergeant, Corporal, Air Mechanic 1st Class. Air Mechanics 2nd and 3rd Class were the equivalents of Army Privates. In 1919, AM 3rd Class was abolished and a new rank of Leading Aircraftman was introduced above AM 1st Class.

I hope this helps.

Can anyone confirm a vague memory that there was a proposal to adopt completely new ranks for the RAF including gaelic terms such as Ardian?( Or something similar)

Greg

Greg

There certainly was such a proposal. The original structure was:

Ensign, Lieutenant, Flight-Leader, Squadron-Leader, Reeve, Banneret, Fourth-Ardian, Third-Ardian, Second-Ardian, Ardian, Air Marshal.

A further suggestion varied the higher ranks as follows: -

Ensign, Lieutenant, Flight-Leader, Squadron-Leader, Wing-Leader, Leader, Flight Ardian, Squadron Ardian, Wing Ardian, Ardian, Air Marshal.

However, the idea failed to gain acceptance and the current titles were adopted on 1 August 1919.

Cheers

Where did the slang expression "Erk" for an Air Mechanic or Aircraftsman come from?

Tim

Given that the OR ranks came from RN - could it not come from the the trade of ERA - Engine Room Artificer - though I believe many were addressed as "'Tiffy"....

Edward

Edward

I think it was the other way round: eventually, RAF commissioned ranks were based on the RNAS and non-commissioned on the RFC. At first, Army/RFC titles were used.

As far as I know, 'Erk' is post-1918 usage. The general Great War term for ground staff was 'Ack Emma' from the letters A and M (Air Mechanic) in the phonetic alphabet then in use.

Cheers

The expression "Erk" as applied to an RAF aircraftsman was thought to be derived from the Cockney pronunication of "aircraftsman"."Airc" was pronounced as "Airk" and its spelling developed into "Erk".Hence "Erk" became the slang and abbreviation for "Aircraftsman".

It was also apparently applied to Naval Ratings,possibily showing the connection with the RNAS which was amalgamated into what became the Royal Air Force on All Fools Day 1918.

Erks,well they got everywhere,backbone of ground servicing during the war and in my time during the Cold War. Erks as AC2s , making up shortfalls in a crew as Air Gunners,AC1s and LACs served as aircrew until they were raised to the minimum rank of Sergeant in the summer of 1940.

Last night, however, I watched the Channel 5 documentary on the RAF POW Escape from Stalag Luft 3.It appeared to me that there was even a Erk (sleeve badge of an SAC, Senior Aircraftsman) shown incarcerated in Stalag Luft 3.The shot appeared to look like a clip from a previous reconstruction of a film of the breakout.The only problem was that the rank of SAC was not introduced until 1950 and that Stalag Luft 3 was a POW Camp for commissioned aircrew.

Nevertheless a good historical documentary illustrating engineering innovation and the determination to escape from capitivity.

Per Adua Ad Astra

Regards

Frank East. Erstwhile Erk of Ardlife Add Astra

• 14 years later...

Could anybody help me read the handwriting on this document please ? I'm particularly interested in the promotions and movements sections.

Many thanks in advance. If anyone knows any useful handwriting sites that would be helpful also as this is a constant struggle for me 

Thanks again 

received_199066110972494.jpeg

Hi

Re Promotions etc

Royal Flying Corps :-

On enlistment  15th July 1916 - 2nd Class Air Mechanic

Appointed - 1st February 1917 - 1st Class Air Mechanic

Appointed - 1st September 1917 - Acting Corporal

Promoted - 1st September 1917 - Corporal

Appointed - 16th January 1918 - Acting Sergeant ( unpaid )

Appointed - 1st March 1918 - Acting Sergeant ( paid )

Royal Air Force

Transferred - 1st April 1918 - Sergeant ( Clerk )

Steve