Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help sought for my Cheshire Regiment men

nthornton1979

Hi all,

I have been reading through many previous threads and have come across several where Regiment/ Battalion history has been provided for certain days.

Is it possible to obtain this info without actually visiting N/A ?

Are any forum members able to access this information ?

I have been collecting medals to the Cheshires for the past 6 months and am trying to establish what actually happened on the day some of the casualties were killed/wounded. I have dates but don't know where to go next ?

I have so many questions I would love to ask but won't flood the forum (yet) :D

Many people have recommended this site and from what I have read it is a great place to learn.

I don't want to come on here and take, take, take and not give anything back so I would like to offer anybody the option to mail me if they need info off Ancestry. I am a member and would love to help if I can.

Thanks

Neil

Neil

I have a number of battalion and regimental hitories so feel free to get in touch with anything specific. I recommend the document repositry for war diaries etc

Regards John

Crookenden's 'History of the Cheshire Rgt. in the Great War' is readily and chreaply available in its reprinted form. A must for anyone interested in the Cheshire Regt.

Edwin

Many thanks,

I have recently ordered this and also Cheshire Bantams and am awaiting delivery from Amazon.

Neil

Neil

Many war diaries are available for download from the National Archves site. The Regimental Archives @ Chester also has a pretty full set of war diaries and are likely to make only a minimal charge for you to go and access them (charge is greater if you want them to do the work).

As an online resource, you'll probably find that my website has more individual Cheshire battalion dates covered than most others as I have researched around 800 men from the Stockport area who served with the Regiment. Link via my "signature" below, then use my site's search facility.

John

Thanks John,

I think I will contact the Museum and see what they can offer. I was only there a few weeks back and didn't even think to mention about researching. Doh !

As for your Website, I have spent 3 hours on it today searching through the battles and every name trying to locate a Battalion and date of action that corresponds with my men. (I am up to 'H') I have used dozens of sheets of paper with print outs for my files. It truely is a great site.

I have a man KIA with the 10th Battalion who was KIA 09/10/16 and through your site I have now established this would have been at Stuff Redoubt.

It is a great source of info and one which you should be proud of.

nEIL

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I am new to this so please be patient. I have a copy of the 13th battalion war diary. It starts off well, lots of names etc, but tails off towards the end. If I can help just ask.

Tony

Thanks John,

I think I will contact the Museum and see what they can offer. I was only there a few weeks back and didn't even think to mention about researching. Doh !

nEIL

Neil,

I think I've already mentioned this in another of your Topics, but try and time your visit to the Cheshires Museum in Chester for a Saturday morning - that's when their expert is in residence.

Cheers,

Mark