Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Died from Southampton, Hampshire and Wheldrake, Yorkshire

DDP1955

Has research been done done on these two areas in the past, if not does anybody know how many soldiers died in WW1 who hailed from Southampton and / or Wheldrake

Many thanks

Dianne

Dianne - dunno, but a quick look at Southampton's cenotaph, and the number of names inscribed thereon would tend me to think 'Lots'. (And, no, I'm not offering to go and count!).

If no-one knows, it might be worth contacting the City Council: they may have a list.

Dianne - dunno, but a quick look at Southampton's cenotaph, and the number of names inscribed thereon would tend me to think 'Lots'. (And, no, I'm not offering to go and count!).

If no-one knows, it might be worth contacting the City Council: they may have a list.

Shame Steven

I think you live a lot closer to the cenotaph than I do ...

City Council then ... or a drive down the M27!

D

Per SDGW-BORN and Lived Southampton=997

WELDRAKE-BORN and Lived=1

Thanks Wesley

I wasnt expecting Southampton to be quite that big

Did you get the numbers from the CD

Dianne

DianneD

Quite a price,and then you could add all the RN and MN casualties and the price,I would suggest,doubles at least.

Further away from you than the Rose Bowl but nearer to the Cenotaph !

The obvious question now,why did you ask ?

Sotonmate

PS. What's that Steven B ? You'll count the names on the Cenotaph if DianneD counts them on the RN Memorial at Southsea !!

DianneD

Quite a price,and then you could add all the RN and MN casualties and the price,I would suggest,doubles at least.

Further away from you than the Rose Bowl but nearer to the Cenotaph !

The obvious question now,why did you ask ?

PS. What's that Steven B ? You'll count the names on the Cenotaph if DianneD counts them on the RN Memorial at Southsea !!

Hi Sotonmate

Lived in Soton for 35 + years and wanted to take a look at those from Southampton that died in WW1

Never imagined for a minute that there'd be that many!!!!

So Steven B and I are going to spend the next year writing down the names .... hah! Sotonmate could spend the next year finding out the regiments, place of death etc. Dont imagine for a minute, they'd all be from the Hampshires ... Simple!!!!!!

Dianne

There was an Imperial War Museum survey of all War Memorials in the country a few years ago. In Huddersfield the task was divided up between members of the local Military History Society and a copy of the results was placed in three folders in the local library. The amount of detail given depended on the commitment of the individual members and consequently varies somewhat from memorial to memorial, but it must be worth a phone call to the local library to see what they have got.

Tony.

If it's OK with you, I'll stick to the Rose Bowl.

Dianne - why do you ask? I'm intrigued.

(Suggestion: sotonmate can count the names on the sides and back, I'll do the front. He'll know why I suggest that :lol: )

If it's OK with you, I'll stick to the Rose Bowl.

Dianne - why do you ask? I'm intrigued.

(Suggestion: sotonmate can count the names on the sides and back, I'll do the front. He'll know why I suggest that :lol: )

Hmmm Private Jokes huh! I'll do the names at the top then ... might have trouble getting up there though, I'm scared of heights :(

When did they put up the new memorial in West End then! Or do they have one I dont know about???

I used to live about 2 miles from the Rosebowl until about two years ago ....

Dianne

Hmmmmm......

I've just had a quick look at all the memorials for Southampton

Males and females, all military services = 1,997

Just a few!

Dianne

Thanks Wesley

I wasnt expecting Southampton to be quite that big

Did you get the numbers from the CD

Dianne

Yes--from cd

Wesley

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/...Mplaque_MP.html

Theres 5 names listed on the Wheldrake church WM.

Ahhhhhh, maybe I should start of with this as a little project

My family originated in this village a couple of hundred years ago, so I'm quite fornd of the place ....

Dianne

Dianne

It would make a nice little project....Just found two brothers that arent on the church memorial KIA same date 30/6/16 William and Leonard Crossley Born Wheldrake,Enlisted Thirsk both 21st KRRC.

Theres another 4 names that arent on the memorial too.

Ady

It would make a nice little project....Just found two brothers that arent on the church memorial KIA same date 30/6/16 William and Leonard Crossley Born Wheldrake,Enlisted Thirsk both 21st KRRC.

Theres another 4 names that arent on the memorial too.

Where are you getting your additional info from Ady

How many have you got, born or lived in Wheldrake!

Dianne

Hi Dianne

Went through SDGW and looked at Born,Resident and Enlisted at wHeldrake...It gives total of 6 lads in all categories some are different to the church Roll.

The two crossley brothers,Edwin Dalton,John Rusling,Frank Taylor and Robert Walker.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/...lenROH_RoH.html

Theres this Roll of Honor also so between all the sources you should get pretty much an accurate list! ( a number of Hartas lads listed too!)

Ady

When did they put up the new memorial in West End then! Or do they have one I dont know about???

Dianne

West End has three memorials!

One in the church (St James' - nice stained glass windows in the North Aisle); a Roll of Honour and Service Roll combined, in the Parish centre; and a celtic-style cross by the Old Burial Ground. Varying number of names - 39 on the cross, 43 on the PC Roll, 44 in the Church.

Interestingly with So'ton, I wonder how many are duplicated? As the Cenotaph in the city has lots of names, I wonder how many are also included in places such as Stoneham (top of The Avenue)? That might make an overall count of 1977 rather higher than the actual number.

Went through SDGW and looked at Born,Resident and Enlisted at wHeldrake...It gives total of 6 lads in all categories some are different to the church Roll.

The two crossley brothers,Edwin Dalton,John Rusling,Frank Taylor and Robert Walker.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/...lenROH_RoH.html

Theres this Roll of Honor also so between all the sources you should get pretty much an accurate list! ( a number of Hartas lads listed too!)

I'm assuming there are three Hartas lads, Bertie, Walter and Gilbert ... all my great uncles, born and living in Wheldrake at the outbreak of war. In addition there is Thomas Hartas, who I had a thread for, born in Wheldrake, but living in Sheffield at the outbreak of war.

I'll start compiling a list and see how many I come up with :)

Thanks

Dianne

West End has three memorials!

One in the church (St James' - nice stained glass windows in the North Aisle); a Roll of Honour and Service Roll combined, in the Parish centre; and a celtic-style cross by the Old Burial Ground. Varying number of names - 39 on the cross, 43 on the PC Roll, 44 in the Church.

Interestingly with So'ton, I wonder how many are duplicated? As the Cenotaph in the city has lots of names, I wonder how many are also included in places such as Stoneham (top of The Avenue)? That might make an overall count of 1977 rather higher than the actual number.

Hi Steven

I've never been in the Parish Church, although I did live close to it!

I would imagine that there is going to be some duplication between the Soton cenotaph and the outlying districts. I dont know where the boundaries of Soton were in 1914 - 1918, but I assume West End people may come under Eastleigh. I've got the list from Soton Council with 1997 names on it, I think there will be more than that, after adding the outlying districts, but expect there to be duplication between the cenotaph and outlying districts

Dianne

[i'll start compiling a list and see how many I come up with :) ]

Ady

Hope you are enjoying your new year celebrations ...

I've come up with 59 men, I cant believe it!

Wheldrake is a tiny agricultural village and would have been even smaller in 1914-1919

As four of them are from my direct family, some of the research is done already ...

Have you looked up, born Wheldrake but enlisted elsewhere, apart from the two in Thirsk ...

Incidentally, most of my family now live in Thirsk ... a few co-incidences going on here ...

Dianne