Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Benjamin John Woodward

Russellwoodward

Dear All

Happy Christmas to you all

Its been a while since i was last on so i hope you can elp me

I have a Benjamin John Woodward born 29th April 1894 who i am trying to find more about

The medal rolls have a Benjanin J Woodward in the Royal Welsh Fusilliers with the following Reg Nr 9547, 54061, 345658

Any further info would be appreciated

I hope you can help

Regards

Russell Woodward

Hi Russell,

According to The Long, Long Trail, his last service number, 345658, falls into the number block allocated to the 24th (Denbighshire Yeomanry) Battalion, RWF following the renumbering of the Territorials in 1917. Odds are he was also with the 24th Battalion when he had the 54061 regimental number.

Links:

http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/rwf.htm

Hi Russell,

According to The Long, Long Trail, his last service number, 345658, falls into the number block allocated to the 24th (Denbighshire Yeomanry) Battalion, RWF following the renumbering of the Territorials in 1917. Odds are he was also with the 24th Battalion when he had the 54061 regimental number.

Links:

http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/rwf.htm

Dear Jeff

Thanks for this - i will look at your links to see where it all fits in

He was born in Wednesbury, Staffordshire, England

Regards

Russell Woodward

Glad I could help :) My work computer blocks Ancestry, and my laptop died, otherwise I'd be able to try to find more info.

Best of luck in your search!

Ancestry have his MIC, entitled to a pair, no other info. No Pension record that I could find, and of course W is not uploaded yet on the Service Records.

/Lars

Ancestry have his MIC, entitled to a pair, no other info. No Pension record that I could find, and of course W is not uploaded yet on the Service Records.

/Lars

Thanks Lars

I am hoping someone out there will have a possible record of the RWF and a mention of Benjamin Woodward

Regards

Russell Woodward

• 1 year later...
Thanks Lars

I am hoping someone out there will have a possible record of the RWF and a mention of Benjamin Woodward

Regards

Russell Woodward

Hello Russell

I am researching the names on my village (Grosmont N Yorks) memorials and have a Benjamin Woodward named for the Great War.I can though find no local connection to this name and he is also absent from the CWWG site. Are we looking for the same man?

Phil

Phil

Your man is most likely 28376 in Yorkshire Regiment. He died post discharge in Oct 1916. Address of Waterloo Cottages, Grosmont.

PM me your email.

Hywyn

Russell

Regarding Benjamin John Woodward.

The 9547 number can only be a Regular number or 4th Battalion TF.( I would be surprised if the third option, the Special Reserves, went that high and certainly not before mid 1916)

Seeing as Alfred Onions is 9547 in 2nd Battalion this means that Benjamin was initially in the 4th Battalion, Territorial Force. He would have enlisted late 1915, early 1916.

Mid to late 1916 quite a large number of TF men (who were in the second/third line) were posted to a IBD in France and then to a Regular Battalion. Seeing as they were moving from TF to Regular they were given new numbers. This explains the 54061 number.

As has been pointed out the 345658 number is a 24th Battalion number (formerly Denbighshire Yeomanry) which is a TF number. So it look now as if Benjamin has moved from Regular to TF and been given a new TF number.

His papers don't seem to have survived.

Hywyn

Phil

Your man is most likely 28376 in Yorkshire Regiment. He died post discharge in Oct 1916. Address of Waterloo Cottages, Grosmont.

PM me your email.

Hywyn